Lilo Diagnostics

Post by Adam H » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 06:24:55

Hi...

I've had problems before on my computer before when trying to boot up
lilo it only gets to a certain point... where it displays "L" or "LI" and
then
jams.

I didn't know what was causing this problem, so I used to change my
machine configuration, and re-install Redhat.

Since then, a friend has told me that he's heard something about those
letters being a diagnostic. ie... if only L appears, then it means this, or
if LI appears then it means that...

Can anyone shed any more light on this? Is their a diagnostic message
within the letters that LILO displays?

TIA

Adam

Lilo Diagnostics

Post by Scott Nold » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 07:02:36

> Hi...

> I've had problems before on my computer before when trying to boot up
> lilo it only gets to a certain point... where it displays "L" or "LI" and
> then
> jams.

> I didn't know what was causing this problem, so I used to change my
> machine configuration, and re-install Redhat.

> Since then, a friend has told me that he's heard something about those
> letters being a diagnostic. ie... if only L appears, then it means this, or
> if LI appears then it means that...

> Can anyone shed any more light on this? Is their a diagnostic message
> within the letters that LILO displays?

> TIA

> Adam

Yes, it's in the lilo help files.

- Scott
--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde

glaze!                       |
5:01pm up 20:26, 1 user, load average: 1.21, 1.15, 1.10

Lilo Diagnostics

Post by Bear DuMon » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 07:07:07

If you don't have a /boot partiton it mean the drive goes over 1024
cylinders or your /boot partition is over 1024 cylinders.
Jeremy "??R" DuMont

Quote:> Hi...

> I've had problems before on my computer before when trying to boot up
> lilo it only gets to a certain point... where it displays "L" or "LI" and
> then
> jams.

> I didn't know what was causing this problem, so I used to change my
> machine configuration, and re-install Redhat.

> Since then, a friend has told me that he's heard something about those
> letters being a diagnostic. ie... if only L appears, then it means this,
or
> if LI appears then it means that...

> Can anyone shed any more light on this? Is their a diagnostic message
> within the letters that LILO displays?

> TIA

> Adam

1. Compiling LILO diagnostic disk

I get the following when I try to do a 'make floppy' from the LILO 22.1
distribtuion:

/usr/lib/bcc/include/sys/types.h:3.28 (from
/usr/lib/bcc/include/stddef.h:10) (from /usr/lib/bcc/include/sys/types.h:2)
(from /usr/lib/bcc/include/fcntl.h:5) (from bios.c:19): error: cannot find
include file linuxmt/types.h
/usr/lib/bcc/include/sys/types.h:3.28 (from /usr/lib/bcc/include/fcntl.h:5)
(from bios.c:19): error: cannot find include file linuxmt/types.h
/usr/lib/bcc/include/fcntl.h:6.28 (from bios.c:19): error: cannot find
include file linuxmt/fcntl.h
/usr/lib/bcc/include/sys/errno.h:5.28 (from /usr/lib/bcc/include/errno.h:1)
(from bios.c:20): error: cannot find include file linuxmt/errno.h

I can compile LILO itself fine. Is there an environment variable that needs
to be set?

2. fortune these days ?

3. SEND DIAGNOSTIC and RECEIVE DIAGNOSTIC RESULT

4. Linux, Win95, & Two Drives

5. LILO: A contribution for diagnostic purposes.

6. Strange curses problem

7. LILO--LILO--LILO

8. How do I configure the 'quota' system?

9. LILO, LILO, LILO

10. Diagnostic Diskettes Model 560

11. diagnostics to find crash source?

12. Exercisers/Diagnostics for UNIX systems

13. Samba diagnostics in syslog