I'm looking for the HOWTO that describes how I might recompile my
slackware kernel. Specifically, I want to setup my system for IDE HDD
and QIC tape support for a Colorado 120 MB drive. FTP site, directory?
1. Kernel recompile - won't boot - howto fix?
I am running Red Hat 6.2 and it was working fine. I installed a new CDRW
drive so I was trying to get the necessary drivers installed and
compiled into the kernel. I was following the CD-Writing-HOWTO and other
documents I found on the net, but I was having trouble getting the drive
recognized by cdrecord -scanbus.
I noticed that the CD-Writing-HOWTO suggested that Red Hat users needed
to run mkinitrd with a command like:
mkinitrd --preload ide-cd initrd-2.2.14.img 2.2.14
I have never run mkinitrd when re-compiling kernels before so I'm not
sure when/if I need to do this. Now, my system won't boot. I was getting
kernel panics and Linux would hang.
I booted off my installation CDROM and ran "linux rescue" from the Red
Hat CD so I could try and fix this. I booted, mounted my linux
partition, and copied System.old to System.map, and vmlinuz.old to
vmlinuz, and tried to run lilo. I now get an error message from lilo
saying that vmlinuz is too big. I've tried to boot again, but now I get
no error message, Linux just hangs.
I didn't do a good job of keeping a copy of my old kernel around to boot
(other than the .old ones that were around). So now, I'm basically
screwed. How can I get a bootable kernel back on my system so I can get
the system up and running again? Is is possible to boot off the CDROM
and mount my /dev/hdb1 to / and recompile like normal?
I need some serious help here. I've used Linux for years but never run
into a problem this bad.
2. > config kensington trackball
3. Help: Trouble recompiling kernel, won't boot from new Kernel
4. mpeg lib
5. Recompiled kernel: Can't get rid of `insmod: xxx undefined' messages
7. Problems after recompiling kernel on Slackware 4.0 installation
10. problem recompiling kernel with Slackware 1.1.0
11. Where are Slackware kernel recompile tools?
12. Recompiling kernel - Slackware 2.0.0
13. Recompiling Slackware 3.6 (kernel 2.0.35) with IP Forwarding