How to setup SNMP on linux to count network traffic ?

How to setup SNMP on linux to count network traffic ?

Post by oli » Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:49:16

Hello !

I am trying to setup SNMP on my linuxbox, so that I can see the number of
bytes going in&out on each adapter. So I started snmpd, and ran a "snmpwalk
localhost public". But this doesn't give any information about the
adapters...

Where should I make some changes to see these particular statistics ??

Thanks a LOT !!! :-)))

Oli

How to setup SNMP on linux to count network traffic ?

Post by Giovanni Meneghett » Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:34:38

You have to configure your snmp agent. File name is snmpd.conf, should be in
/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

Here's the lines you may want to insert. Please, note I think you'd have to
comment your old lines.
It's an open environment. This may implie some security risk.
What'r the risks for having an open SNMP like this ?
You should at least change public with a name of your own.

I'm using these lines in my intermal network, and I'm using firewall to prevent
external connections,
so I don't care about this public configuration.
May this be somehow critical for security?

Bye
Giovanni

Again, here's the lines:
com2sec mynetwork 10.16.160.0/24      public
group MyROGroup  v1        mynetwork
view all    included  .1                               80
access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    exact      all    none   none