Suse Linux + Win98

Post by a_k.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've a 6GB hard disc with windows 98, and there lies my problem.. The way Its
been set up I can't re-partition the damn thing.. So anyone reckon I can
still install Linux (and if so, any idea of the consequences ?)

A. King (UK)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Suse Linux + Win98

Post by Patrici » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I've a 6GB hard disc with windows 98, and there lies my problem.. The way Its
>been set up I can't re-partition the damn thing.. So anyone reckon I can
>still install Linux (and if so, any idea of the consequences ?)

>A. King (UK)

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

You can use fips (comes with every Linuxdistribution)
to freeup space from the windowspartition,
or you can use a programm like partitionmagic
then you can install Linux on the partition you just created.
or you can remove Windows, repartition the HD, reinstall Windows, install Linux
--
HTH :)
Patricia

http://www.crosswinds.net/~beginnerslinux
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15
 12:22pm  up 1 day, 17:54,  2 users,  load average: 1.05, 1.17, 1.26
Sun Mar 12 12:22:11 CET 2000

Suse Linux + Win98

Post by Basti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I've a 6GB hard disc with windows 98, and there lies my problem.. The way Its
>been set up I can't re-partition the damn thing.. So anyone reckon I can
>still install Linux (and if so, any idea of the consequences ?)

>A. King (UK)

There's a couple of tools that allow one to cut off the end of a windows/dos
partition (eg. FIPS). I don't have to tell you to backup all important stuff
and read the docs :)

Bastian.

Suse Linux + Win98

Post by Mike Kenz » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>>I've a 6GB hard disc with windows 98, and there lies my problem.. The way Its
>>been set up I can't re-partition the damn thing.. So anyone reckon I can
>>still install Linux (and if so, any idea of the consequences ?)

>>A. King (UK)

> There's a couple of tools that allow one to cut off the end of a windows/dos
> partition (eg. FIPS). I don't have to tell you to backup all important stuff
> and read the docs :)

I had a similar problem this weekend at an Installfest.  FIPS wouldn't
split an extended partition.  We removed the win98 and repartitioned the
drive using the linux fdisk.  We then put the Corel CD in the machine
answered a few questions and went for pizza.  When we came back it was
done and I ran DOS fdisk and created a partition for windows in the empty
space I left on the disk.  Refromated the space and left the owner to
reinstall win98 when he got home.

We did have some trouble with UDMA66 drives.

Suse Linux + Win98

Post by Gordon Reeder on Tux. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You have been given a few suggestions already, and here's
another.  YOu could just buy a second hard drive. $130.00
bucks buys a prety sizable hard drive these days.
Install the new drive as a slave and install Linux there.

> I've a 6GB hard disc with windows 98, and there lies my problem.. The way Its
> been set up I can't re-partition the damn thing.. So anyone reckon I can
> still install Linux (and if so, any idea of the consequences ?)

> A. King (UK)

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Suse Linux + Win98

Post by a_k.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> You have been given a few suggestions already, and here's
> another. YOu could just buy a second hard drive. $130.00
> bucks buys a prety sizable hard drive these days.
> Install the new drive as a slave and install Linux there.

Hmm.. Sounds like a good idea..

Lets Recap;

1) Trim Off the end of the windows partition
2) Re-format, install linux and then windows **
3) Buy a new hard drive

** can't. Its an oem cd which insists on re-formatting the disk

Oh well.
<background>
..Now where's my cheque book ...
</background>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Win98 can ping Linux, but Linux can't ping Win98 box

I'm having a strange problem.  I have a small LAN set up with a Win98 box
and a SuSE 7.1 box set up connected through a D-Link hub.  I have a cable
modem that goes straight to a DEC ethernet card in the Win98 box.  I have a
second ethernet card, a 3c509 in the Windows box that goes straight to the
hub.  Now I can ping my linux box, I can ssh into it (I can't telnet for
some reason, must be SuSE).  The linux box can't even ping the Win98 box.
The card in the Linux box is a 3c509b.  I'm pretty sure it's properly
configured.  Can someone give me a hint here, please.  Thanks a lot.

Jon J. Morin

2. natd slowdown?

3. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

4. xscreensaver "locking up"

5. Win98 can pin linux, linux can't see Win98

6. How to retrieve the NIC name

7. Linux & Win98 : problem with win98 on the linux HD

8. nvidida under xfree4

9. Linux, Win98, and DHCP--Win98 can't see outside world, Linux can

10. Suse Linux And Win98 in network for dummy

11. newbie: win98 and suse linux 6.4 on 30GB HD

12. WIN98 and Suse-Linux 6.1 Problems

13. Networking two machines: Suse Linux 7.2 to Win98