Debian 2.0 SCSI Install Problem

Post by Ian Stirli » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I downloaded the Official Debian 3 CD images and built a set of three CDs

When I put the Debian 2 Binary CD in my machine and reboot the system boots
from the CDROM and loads various drivers.   It gets to the point when it tries to
load the drivers for my SCSI card (an Adaptec 2940UW) and then it gets some
error (timeout I think) and goes into a loop trying this over and over again.

I booted with the Official 1.3 CD and it correctly identified the SCSI card and
I was able to install a skeleton system.

I then tried to ugrade this 1.3 system to 2.0 and the cd_autoup.sh command has
a couple of problems.  Firstly on the CD it does not have the eXecute file
permission set so it will not run.   I copied it to the /tmp directory, ran chmod 555
against it, modified one line which points to the upgrade packages, and ran it.
This time it ran but failed with a pacgae missing error.  I think that it was something
like libg++-2.7 that is missing.

Any help with either of these problems will be gratefully received.

Ian Stirling
IBM Global Services

* The opinions expressed are my own, and are do not form any part of an official IBM statement

Debian 2.0 SCSI Install Problem

Post by J.H.M. Dass » Sat, 01 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi Ian,

>I then tried to ugrade this 1.3 system to 2.0 and the cd_autoup.sh command
>has a couple of problems.  Firstly on the CD it does not have the eXecute
>file permission set so it will not run.   I copied it to the /tmp
>directory, ran chmod 555 against it, modified one line which points to the
>upgrade packages, and ran it. This time it ran but failed with a pacgae
>missing error.  I think that it was something like libg++-2.7 that is
>missing.

There are at least four packages that have a name similar to that. As a wild
guess, I think it's looking for "libg++27" which should be in the "oldlibs"
section.

Quote:>Any help with either of these problems will be gratefully received.

You might want to consider asking Debian specific questions on the Debian
user mailing list (see http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/subscribe).

HTH,
Ray
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.

Debian 2.0 SCSI Install Problem

Post by alug » Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Get new scsi drivers from kernel 2.0.35

2.0.33 and up are broken. The old drivers are ok.

1. Trouble installing Debian 2.0 onto a 486/all scsi system

Howdy all.

My friend is trying to install Debian onto his 486, which is all scsi.
The card is a 2840, and is recognized fine.  The problem is, when
booting it trys to reset teh scsi channel, then does a stack dump and
locks up.  He installed RedHat with no problems....so I dont know
where to go from here.

I looked at the options available for install, and one of them was to
skip the reset channel portion....I tried to do that as well....but it
still resets the channels.  Could someone give me the exact syntax to
tell the install not to reset the channels.

Any other advice as to the problem will be appreciated,

Darren

2. My ZIP drive often won't eject under FreeBSD

3. Debian 2.0 SCSI problem (I think)

4. video4linux questions

5. Help!-Debian 2.0 dselect always say need libc6 install- but shows already installed!

6. PPP on demand?

7. Installing Debian 2.0; problems finding CD-ROM.

8. kde2 with home directory on vfat partition (problem with dcopserver)

9. Problems installing Debian 2.0 from CD

10. Debian 2.0 install problem: Illegal host access

11. Problem installing XFree86 3.3.3.1 under Debian 2.0

12. Problems installing Debian 2.0 on toshiba laptop

13. debian 2.0 doesn't see scsi drive