LILO does not boot to Windows98

Post by ama.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a 3GB hard disk with Windows98 installed. I added another 16GB
hard disk for installing Linux and Windows2000. I gave 4GB of hard disk
space to Red Hat Linux 6.0 with the following partitions:

/dev/hda1 - 15MB - /boot
/dev/hda6 - 3.9GB - /
/dev/hda5 - 128MB - swap

The second hard disk had 3 partitions under Windows98
/dev/hdb1 - 1GB
/dev/hdb5 - 1GB
/dev/hdb6 - 1GB

I installed LILO on MBR of the 17GB hard disk and made it the primary
disk. When I start my PC, LILO prompts is displayed. If a press TAB, it
gives thefollowing options:

linux
win98

I am able to boot to Linux from LILO but when I want to boot to
Windows98 (by entering win98 on LILO prompt), it gives me the following
error

'win98
Error 0x01'

and returns to LILO prompt.

The lilo.conf is

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5015
label=linux
root=/dev/hda6
read-only

other=/dev/hdb1
label=win98
table=/dev/hdb
map-drive=0x80 to 0x81
map-drive=0x81 to 0x80

To boot from Windows98, I have to first remove the Linux hard disk, make
the Windows98 hard disk as primary disk and then boot from Windows.

Can anyone please tell me the reason for the error which I get when
trying to go to Windows98 from LILO and how can it be solved?

Thanks
A.M.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

LILO does not boot to Windows98

Post by DeAnn Iwa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

    Win98 only boots if it thinks it is the C drive.  You have to
install it where it wants to be--not where you want it to be.  There is
a how-to that explains this and some of the other multi-boot OS issues.
win2000 is even more picky, BTW.

> I have a 3GB hard disk with Windows98 installed. I added another 16GB
> hard disk for installing Linux and Windows2000. I gave 4GB of hard disk
> space to Red Hat Linux 6.0 with the following partitions:

> /dev/hda1 - 15MB - /boot
> /dev/hda6 - 3.9GB - /
> /dev/hda5 - 128MB - swap

> The second hard disk had 3 partitions under Windows98
> /dev/hdb1 - 1GB
> /dev/hdb5 - 1GB
> /dev/hdb6 - 1GB

> I installed LILO on MBR of the 17GB hard disk and made it the primary
> disk. When I start my PC, LILO prompts is displayed. If a press TAB, it
> gives thefollowing options:

> linux
> win98

> I am able to boot to Linux from LILO but when I want to boot to
> Windows98 (by entering win98 on LILO prompt), it gives me the following
> error

> 'win98
> Error 0x01'

> and returns to LILO prompt.

> The lilo.conf is

> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5015
> label=linux
> root=/dev/hda6
> read-only

> other=/dev/hdb1
> label=win98
> table=/dev/hdb
> map-drive=0x80 to 0x81
> map-drive=0x81 to 0x80

> To boot from Windows98, I have to first remove the Linux hard disk, make
> the Windows98 hard disk as primary disk and then boot from Windows.

> Can anyone please tell me the reason for the error which I get when
> trying to go to Windows98 from LILO and how can it be solved?

> Thanks
> A.M.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

  diwan.vcf
< 1K Download

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>other=/dev/hdb1
>label=win98
>table=/dev/hdb
>map-drive=0x80 to 0x81
>map-drive=0x81 to 0x80

other=/dev/hdb1
        label=win98
        table=/dev/hdb
        map-drive=0x80
        to=0x81
        map-drive=0x81
        to=0x80

Also see: http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/part.txt
--
Svend Olaf

LILO does not boot to Windows98

Post by Atika Mustaf » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I tried this but I am still getting this error while trying to boot to
Windows98 from LILO.

Error 0x01'

Any other suggestion?

Atika

> >other=/dev/hdb1
> >label=win98
> >table=/dev/hdb
> >map-drive=0x80 to 0x81
> >map-drive=0x81 to 0x80

> other=/dev/hdb1
>    label=win98
>    table=/dev/hdb
>    map-drive=0x80
>    to=0x81
>    map-drive=0x81
>    to=0x80

> Also see: http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/part.txt
> --
> Svend Olaf

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

LILO does not boot to Windows98

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I tried this but I am still getting this error while trying to boot to
>Windows98 from LILO.

>Error 0x01'

>Any other suggestion?

>Atika
>> other=/dev/hdb1
>>        label=win98
>>        table=/dev/hdb
>>        map-drive=0x80
>>        to=0x81
>>        map-drive=0x81
>>        to=0x80

No. Are you sure the Windows disk is primary slave? If secondary
master, you should use hdc (and still 0x81 if the Windows disk is disk
no 2). I assume you remembered to run Lilo.

Can you mount the FAT boot partition in Linux?
--
Svend Olaf

LILO does not boot to Windows98

Post by Rev. G. R. Gaudrea » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>I tried this but I am still getting this error while trying to boot to
>Windows98 from LILO.

REVGR:  Praise Goddess! Now you can use a real OS, Linux.

--
Reverend G. R. Gaudreau H.M.C.
http://members.xoom.com/grgaud/

LILO does not boot to Windows98

Post by Michael V. Ferrant » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?

Quote:>Also see: http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/part.txt

        THANK YOU!  Now I'm starting to understand some things.

-                Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
                            GNUke The Planet!
                          The GNUclear Network?

LILO does not boot to Windows98

Post by Atika Mustaf » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >I tried this but I am still getting this error while trying to boot
> >Windows98 from LILO.

> >Error 0x01'

> >Any other suggestion?

> >Atika

> >> other=/dev/hdb1
> >>   label=win98
> >>   table=/dev/hdb
> >>   map-drive=0x80
> >>   to=0x81
> >>   map-drive=0x81
> >>   to=0x80

> No. Are you sure the Windows disk is primary slave?  If secondary
> master, you should use hdc (and still 0x81 if the Windows disk is disk
> no 2).

Windows disk is primary slave, Linux disk is primary master.

Quote:> I assume you remembered to run Lilo.

Yes. After making the changes in lilo.conf I ran /sbin/lilo which gave
the output:
linux *
win98

Quote:

> Can you mount the FAT boot partition in Linux?

I have not tried that.

Atika Mustafa

Quote:> --
> Svend Olaf

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. LILO does not boot to Windows98

[...]

2. Netscape NO-GO!

3. LILO error: Can only boot from floppy, LILO will only start dos not linux

4. Changes to Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers

5. LILO to boot DOS by default, not Linux?

6. Chk last backup of dir w/ Cron?

7. -->HELP<-- LILO not booting DOS!

8. NIS+ Setup question

9. LILO does not boot DOS! Help, please...

10. Panic-Boots up with LIL- not LILO or DOS

11. LILO not booting DOS

12. How to Uninstall LILO -o How to boot DOS once LILO is installed?