setup problems: mouse, IRQs, CDROM

Post by Igor I. Tovstopyat-Neli » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am in a process of installing Debian 1.3.1 on my PC (it will coexist
with Win95 on the same hard drive) and I've got a problem with
installing a mouse driver. I have a Microsoft serial mouse and I got the
following message when trying to install:

 /lib/modules/2.0.29/misc/msbusmouse.0: init_module: Device or resourse
  busy

Here goes the list of IRQs as Win95 shows them:

 0 - system timer
 1 - keyboard
 2 - programmable interrupt controller
 3 - COM2
 4 - COM3
 4 - COM1
 5 - LPT1
 6 - floppy controller
 7 - SoundBlaster controller
 8 - CMOS
 9 -  free
10 - SMC EtherEZ
11 - VideoCard (Diamond Fire GL 1000)
11 - IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
12 - PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 - numeric data processor
14 - primary IDE controller
14 - PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
15 - secondary IDE controller
15 - PCI Bus Master IDE Controller

For some reason Win95 detects not only Serial Mouse (which sits on COM1 I
guess), but PS/2 Mouse (which I do not have) as well and assigns irq 12 to
it. I do not think this is the reason of the problem, but anyway it's
strange.

Also, I worry about the conflict on irq 11 between VideoCard and IRQ
Holder for PCI Steering. Is it really bad?

And, when trying to install a CD-ROM driver I did not find a suitable
option from those which the Debian installation program suggests. My
CD-ROM is HP CD Writer 7100, ATAPI.

Any suggestions and advices will be greatly appreciated.

  Igor.

1. Mouse and CDROM setup problems

Well, I finally got through the installation.  I'm not sure how to configure
the kernal for the mouse (a standard ms-compatible serial mouse on com1).  The
most frustrating, however, is the cdrom (a Matsushita CR-563-B using a CT2230
Soundblaster16 controller).  I've tried the suggestions listed in the Walnut
Creek book, to no avail.  Any ideas?  (Gee, it's tough being a newbie.)

Thanks!

2. Intel EtherExpress Pro100 - can't fill rx buffer (force 1)!

3. Panasonic mouse/cdrom clash of IRQs ?

4. lpd - for Solaris

5. [Install][Slackware]Cannot get setup to recognise my non-standard Mitsumi CDRom port/irq[Will summarise]

6. ...no subject...

7. SETUP: MUST MOUNT CDROM AT 0x01E8, IRQ 12

8. Exitcode of BackGround Job

9. CDROM irq problem

10. IRQ problem with cdrom

11. Sony CDU55E CDROM IRQ probing failure and other problems

12. CDROM problems and mouse problems.

13. Redhat 5.0 X mouse problem, cdrom problem... hey I'm new to these...