NCR SCSI detection failure

Post by Jack Llo » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to install RedHat 4.2.  For some reason, the setup program will
detect my HD on autoprobe, but when I complete the installation and try to
boot for the first time, I get the following:

        scsi: 0 hosts.
        scsi: detected total.
        Partition check:
            incomplete literal tree
        invalid compressed format (err=1) VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
        kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
        _

The log during setup looks pretty normal.  1 host is detected and it is my HD.

My SCSI card is NCR53c825 PCI, HW version 2 and my hard drive is a CONNER
CFP2107W.  I have it partitioned as:

        1 to 499        ext2 (~1 GB)
        500 to 999    DOS (~1 GB)
        1000 to 1018(?)  Linux swap (~18 MB)

I have a 3Comm 3c590 (Vortex) ethernet card and I heard that can
mess up the SCSI autoprobe.  If this is it, is there anyway around
this?

I relize RedHat only partially supports NCR53cXXX in both 4.2 and the latest,
5.1.  Does anyone know if it's supported 'a little better' in 5.1?

Jack

Jack Lloyd
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.  USA

NCR SCSI detection failure

Post by Eugene Blanchar » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The latest BootPrompt-HOWTO has the list of parameters that can be
passed to the kernel at the lilo prompt.

> [...]

> > detect my HD on autoprobe, but when I complete the installation and try to
> > boot for the first time, I get the following:

> >         scsi: 0 hosts.
> >         scsi: detected total.
> >         Partition check:
> >         RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> >             incomplete literal tree
> >         invalid compressed format (err=1) VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
> >         kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
> > My SCSI card is NCR53c825 PCI, HW version 2 and my hard drive is a CONNER
> > CFP2107W.
> > I have a 3Comm 3c590 (Vortex) ethernet card and I heard that can
> > mess up the SCSI autoprobe.  If this is it, is there anyway around
> > this?

> I've no specific knowledge of the 3c590's interaction with the 53c8xx
> boards, but I'd suggest that you try doing an "expert" install.  This will
> force the system to let you tell it what SCSI host adapter(s) you've got.
> There are two Linux drivers for the 53c8xx -- one is called the "53c8xx
> driver," and the other's called the "53c7,8xx driver" (or sometimes the
> "53c7xx driver").  Try one, then the other.  There's a good chance that
> one of these will work for you, though the prospect of installing two more
> times may not be what you want to hear.

> There's almost certainly some way to get your installed system
> reconfigured to use whichever driver it's not using, but I don't know
> what that would be.

> You might also try pulling the 3c590 board.  If the system boots,
> recompile the kernel with the minimum drivers necessary, and try booting
> with that.  If it works, re-install the 3c590 and hope it works.

> There are probably kernel parameters you could pass the system at the LILO
> prompt that would help, but I don't know what they are.  If this is a
> well-known incompatibility, a Deja News search might turn up those
> parameters.

> > I relize RedHat only partially supports NCR53cXXX in both 4.2 and the latest,
> > 5.1.  Does anyone know if it's supported 'a little better' in 5.1?

> Huh?  I think you labor under a misapprehension.  Red Hat does fully
> support the 53c8xx series, even in version 4.2 (though "full" support at
> the time RH 4.2 came out is less than "full" support today, since there
> are more 53c8xx devices now than there were then).  The drivers in 5.1 are
> better than those in 4.2.  AFAIK, most of the changes relate to
> higher-level 53c8xx devices, like the 53c875 and the variant of this chip
> used by Diamond.

> This does raise the question of why you're trying to install RH 4.2 when
> the current version is 5.1.  Unless you have a compelling reason to
> install 4.2, I would suggest you try 5.1 instead.

> --
> Rod Smith

> http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
> NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

NCR SCSI detection failure

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I'm trying to install RedHat 4.2.  For some reason, the setup program will
> detect my HD on autoprobe, but when I complete the installation and try to
> boot for the first time, I get the following:

>         scsi: 0 hosts.
>         scsi: detected total.
>         Partition check:
>         RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
>             incomplete literal tree
>         invalid compressed format (err=1) VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
>         kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
> My SCSI card is NCR53c825 PCI, HW version 2 and my hard drive is a CONNER
> CFP2107W.
> I have a 3Comm 3c590 (Vortex) ethernet card and I heard that can
> mess up the SCSI autoprobe.  If this is it, is there anyway around
> this?

I've no specific knowledge of the 3c590's interaction with the 53c8xx
boards, but I'd suggest that you try doing an "expert" install.  This will
force the system to let you tell it what SCSI host adapter(s) you've got.
There are two Linux drivers for the 53c8xx -- one is called the "53c8xx
driver," and the other's called the "53c7,8xx driver" (or sometimes the
"53c7xx driver").  Try one, then the other.  There's a good chance that
one of these will work for you, though the prospect of installing two more
times may not be what you want to hear.

There's almost certainly some way to get your installed system
reconfigured to use whichever driver it's not using, but I don't know
what that would be.

You might also try pulling the 3c590 board.  If the system boots,
recompile the kernel with the minimum drivers necessary, and try booting
with that.  If it works, re-install the 3c590 and hope it works.

There are probably kernel parameters you could pass the system at the LILO
prompt that would help, but I don't know what they are.  If this is a
well-known incompatibility, a Deja News search might turn up those
parameters.

Quote:> I relize RedHat only partially supports NCR53cXXX in both 4.2 and the latest,
> 5.1.  Does anyone know if it's supported 'a little better' in 5.1?

Huh?  I think you labor under a misapprehension.  Red Hat does fully
support the 53c8xx series, even in version 4.2 (though "full" support at
the time RH 4.2 came out is less than "full" support today, since there
are more 53c8xx devices now than there were then).  The drivers in 5.1 are
better than those in 4.2.  AFAIK, most of the changes relate to
higher-level 53c8xx devices, like the 53c875 and the variant of this chip
used by Diamond.

This does raise the question of why you're trying to install RH 4.2 when
the current version is 5.1.  Unless you have a compelling reason to
install 4.2, I would suggest you try 5.1 instead.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. Odd SCSI detection problem - NCR controller, CONNER harddrive

I'm trying to install RH 4.2 and am having trouble getting my root disk
detected.  I have an NCR53c825 SCSI controller and a CONNER CFP2107W HD.  On
boot up, I get this shortly after the CPU is checked and the floppy drive is
found:

        scsi: 0 hosts.
        scsi: detected total.
        Partition check:
            incomplete literal tree
        invalid compressed format (err=1)VFS: canot open root device 08:01
        kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01

The odd thing is, during the setup program, the SCSI controller and HD were
found without a hitch and the installation went fine.  It's only on the first
attempt at booting from the HD that I run into this problem.

www.redhat.com says that NCR53cXXX controllers are partially supported in 4.2
and 5.1; it doesn't say much else.  Does anyone know if NCR is supported a
little better in 5.2?

From what I can make of it, the SCSI HOW-TO doesn't have much to say about
'825's specifically.  All problems documented in there would seem to occur
during installation.  The only one I'm not sure about is a possible ethernect
card conflict.  I have a 3Com 3C590 (PCI version of the '509).  The HOW-TO
said something about an autodetect conflict with that model and SCSI
controllers, but I'm thinking I would've seen that during install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

--
Jack

2. Kernel + Sound Driver

3. SCSI Autoprobe detection failure

4. RH 5.2 kernel upgrade "Kernel Panic: no init found"

5. NCR 53C710 & NCR 53C94 SCSI controller

6. X11R4 twm

7. NCR 53C80 or NCR 5380 SCSI chip driver

8. Missing /dev/eth0 , please help !!!

9. NCR 3421 + NCR 53C90 SCSI

10. Looking for memory detection software on NCR

11. Multiple NCR host adapter detection problems.

12. Looking for memory leak detection software on NCR UNIX

13. Mount SCSI NCR 810 + ZIP DRIVE + SCSI DRIVE