Shutting Down (Newbie)

Shutting Down (Newbie)

Post by Beverly Awanab » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



I am very new to linux, I am using both KDE and Gnome with the same proplem.
I
log off and shut down. But for some reason my drive /dev/hda2 dose not
unmount
properly. So I have the forever boot up and loose things. What am I doing
wrong?? Help me if you can
Thanks
Bev.

------------------------------------------------------------
 Get your FREE web-based e-mail and newsgroup access at:
                http://MailAndNews.com

 Create a new mailbox, or access your existing IMAP4 or
 POP3 mailbox from anywhere with just a web browser.
------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Shutting Down (Newbie)

Post by Gil Baron W0M » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I am a New user too but also had this problem..
If you do from root from the command line

shutdown -r now   or  shutdown -h now

it will shutdown -r for reboot -h if you just want to shut down
INSTANTLY in both cases, I mean now delay before it starts the process
of shutting down.


Quote:> I am very new to linux, I am using both KDE and Gnome with the same
proplem.
> I
> log off and shut down. But for some reason my drive /dev/hda2 dose
not
> unmount
> properly. So I have the forever boot up and loose things. What am I
doing
> wrong?? Help me if you can
> Thanks
> Bev.

> ------------------------------------------------------------
>  Get your FREE web-based e-mail and newsgroup access at:
>                 http://MailAndNews.com

>  Create a new mailbox, or access your existing IMAP4 or
>  POP3 mailbox from anywhere with just a web browser.
> ------------------------------------------------------------


 
 
 

Shutting Down (Newbie)

Post by Mike Odegar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


It might be helpful to have more information about your setup.
What does Fdisk show?  For example, what are all your partitions (hda1, hda2,
etc), and what are they used for?
What messages, if any, do you get if you try to shutdown as root?

Mike
========================


> I am very new to linux, I am using both KDE and Gnome with the same proplem.
> I
> log off and shut down. But for some reason my drive /dev/hda2 dose not
> unmount
> properly. So I have the forever boot up and loose things. What am I doing
> wrong?? Help me if you can
> Thanks
> Bev.

> ------------------------------------------------------------
>  Get your FREE web-based e-mail and newsgroup access at:
>                 http://MailAndNews.com

>  Create a new mailbox, or access your existing IMAP4 or
>  POP3 mailbox from anywhere with just a web browser.
> ------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Shutting Down (Newbie)

Post by Beverl » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


dev/hda1/swap 101meg  dev/hda2/linux 851meg dev/hda3/home  no error messages
if thats what you mean.

> It might be helpful to have more information about your setup.
> What does Fdisk show?  For example, what are all your partitions (hda1,
hda2,
> etc), and what are they used for?
> What messages, if any, do you get if you try to shutdown as root?

> Mike
> ========================


> > I am very new to linux, I am using both KDE and Gnome with the same
proplem.
> > I
> > log off and shut down. But for some reason my drive /dev/hda2 dose not
> > unmount
> > properly. So I have the forever boot up and loose things. What am I
doing
> > wrong?? Help me if you can
> > Thanks
> > Bev.

> > ------------------------------------------------------------
> >  Get your FREE web-based e-mail and newsgroup access at:
> >                 http://MailAndNews.com

> >  Create a new mailbox, or access your existing IMAP4 or
> >  POP3 mailbox from anywhere with just a web browser.
> > ------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Shutting Down (Newbie)

Post by YamYa » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


If u shutdown ur machine, did u see a line that says "Power down" -on mandrake 7.0-
or something similar to that. If u don't, then u have to wait until that message
appears then u can witch off ur computer.
U can make sure that u don't have wrong configuration files like /etc/fstab on ur
system if u reboot ur system by either:
 1. Type "reboot" in the console when u logged in as root, or
 2. select shutdown and start from the menu of kdm "Log Off"
If ur machine restart over and u didn't see any error message, then u don't have any
wrong configuration files, but u have to wait until the above printed message.
BTW, check if ur file /etc/fstab contains a line like:

 /dev/hda4               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1

/dev/hda(n) depends on ur system partitions, I have it "/" here on the fourth
partition. But the important point here that u see the line contains "defaults", if
so, it's O.K.

  -YamYam.


> I am very new to linux, I am using both KDE and Gnome with the same proplem.
> I
> log off and shut down. But for some reason my drive /dev/hda2 dose not
> unmount
> properly. So I have the forever boot up and loose things. What am I doing
> wrong?? Help me if you can
> Thanks
> Bev.

> ------------------------------------------------------------
>  Get your FREE web-based e-mail and newsgroup access at:
>                 http://MailAndNews.com

>  Create a new mailbox, or access your existing IMAP4 or
>  POP3 mailbox from anywhere with just a web browser.
> ------------------------------------------------------------

--
Posted via CNET Help.com
http://www.help.com/
 
 
 

Shutting Down (Newbie)

Post by Mike Odegar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


That's fine.  Partitions look good.

But try this:

Next time, exit out of Gnome or KDE, so that you are at the command prompt.
Type "exit" to logout as user.
Login as root.
Type "shutdown -h now".

Watch for any error messages.
Are there any error messages?  If so, what are they?

Mike
=================


> dev/hda1/swap 101meg  dev/hda2/linux 851meg dev/hda3/home  no error messages
> if thats what you mean.

 
 
 

Shutting Down (Newbie)

Post by Michael V. Ferrant » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?

Quote:>I am very new to linux, I am using both KDE and Gnome with the same proplem.
>I
>log off and shut down. But for some reason my drive /dev/hda2 dose not
>unmount
>properly. So I have the forever boot up and loose things. What am I doing
>wrong?? Help me if you can

        Never turn the power off without telling Linux that you want to shut
down first.  I always logout and give the computer the old three-finger
salute, [Ctrl+Alt+Delete], and then turn the power off after Linux shuts
down.  (Actually, I leave the computer on 24hrs, but just do that to reboot
the machine for Win95.  Hey, what can I say?  I hate Slutscape more than I
do WinHo's.)  Try these from root, too:

        halt
        -or-
        shutdown -h now

        reboot
        -or-
        shutdown -r now

-                Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
                            GNUke The Planet!
                          The GNUclear Network?

 
 
 

Shutting Down (Newbie)

Post by GENE » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?

> >I am very new to linux, I am using both KDE and Gnome with the same proplem.
> >I
> >log off and shut down. But for some reason my drive /dev/hda2 dose not
> >unmount
> >properly. So I have the forever boot up and loose things. What am I doing
> >wrong?? Help me if you can

>         Never turn the power off without telling Linux that you want to shut
> down first.  I always logout and give the computer the old three-finger
> salute, [Ctrl+Alt+Delete], and then turn the power off after Linux shuts
> down.  (Actually, I leave the computer on 24hrs, but just do that to reboot
> the machine for Win95.  Hey, what can I say?  I hate Slutscape more than I
> do WinHo's.)  Try these from root, too:

>         halt
>         -or-
>         shutdown -h now

>         reboot
>         -or-
>         shutdown -r now

> -                Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
>                             GNUke The Planet!
>                           The GNUclear Network?

And from the old-timer section, if all else fails, you can perform the following

trick:
    sync;sync;halt

and your machine should go through an orderly shutdown.  Old fashioned, but
it works on every *nix machine I have dealt with. It won't even throw
you into the single user mode, as the shutdown now script does.

Gene.

 
 
 

1. How to shut-off on a shut-down?

Hi,

I'm sure it is possible, I've done it before but I've lost my notes on
the subject: I just installed Suse 6.1 (yes six-dot-one, the old one) on
a labtob (laptop?) and I cannot find how or where to power down the
machine automatically on a shutdown. I know it is something in the
init.d or rc.d directories but I cannot find what or where to configure.

How can I (automatically) power-down my machine on a shutdown?

I don't think it is part of the issue but if it is, my machine is a
Toshiba Satalite Pro 440.

Thanks

CB

--
Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler - A. Einstein
Corne' Beerse                                   | Alcatel Telecom Nederland

2. Only allow /~userid requests on specific virtual host

3. Newbie question: Shutting down ports?

4. Apple Intel and MS?

5. Newbie Q: Terminal as console shuts server down on turning off

6. creating shortcut

7. Newbies: if you're having problems properly shutting down...READ THIS

8. APIC version

9. Newbie: shutting down CLOSE_WAIT sessions

10. NEWBIE: help shutting down gnome

11. newbie: samba shutting down

12. Newbie: New installed Mandrake 7.0 won't shut down and stuck in middle of LILO

13. Problem with powering down when shutting down