Metro X setup from 4.0 CD with GPL Redhat 4.2 already installed?

Metro X setup from 4.0 CD with GPL Redhat 4.2 already installed?

Post by obuck.. » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

        Hi.  I am running Redhat 4.2 (free version) on my system.  A
co-worker is offering to sell me his commercial 4.0 cd for $5.  I
would like this because I would like to use the Metro-X server for my
dual Matrox Millenium system.
        Is it possible to install the metro-x server from the 4.0 cd
with an already running 4.2 setup?  Any info on what steps i need to
take to install this package would be helpful.

Thank you,
Kevin O'Buckley

Post by |ecame.. » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>    Hi.  I am running Redhat 4.2 (free version) on my system.  A
>co-worker is offering to sell me his commercial 4.0 cd for $5.  I

Yes it is.  Don't install this. goto  www.redhat.com and get the
upgrade metroX for 4.0 (not the 4.1) and install that instead.  Saves
you a step.

Quote:>would like this because I would like to use the Metro-X server for my
>dual Matrox Millenium system.
>    Is it possible to install the metro-x server from the 4.0 cd
>with an already running 4.2 setup?  Any info on what steps i need to
>take to install this package would be helpful.

>Thank you,
>Kevin O'Buckley

Notice the lack of a PGP key.
I have car keys, house keys, and an old trunk key, but NO PGP
key.  I'll leave such things to the paranoid and neurotic people
amongst the populace.

Metro X setup from 4.0 CD with GPL Redhat 4.2 already installed?

Post by |ecame.. » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>    Is it possible to install the metro-x server from the 4.0 cd
>with an already running 4.2 setup?  Any info on what steps i need to
>take to install this package would be helpful.

Instructions are contained on the web site and also in one of the two
files you need to download.