Diamond Viper VLB 2MB and LINUX

Post by Lester Paul Vecs » Thu, 12 Jan 1995 05:20:17

Anyone run into any problems with this video card?
--
 _______________________________
|                               |________________________________________
|  Master Lester               http://www.columbia.edu/~siv1/master.html |
|  Wicked! -=PWA Coder=-       IRC #PWA                                  |

Post by Weis Fra » Fri, 20 Jan 1995 17:38:55

: Anyone run into any problems with this video card?
: --
I hope you haven't bought it yet. Diamond offers technical info on the basis of
a non-disclosure agreement only, meaning that the XFree team couldn't use them
or couldn't offer sources. Anyway... I think as of now the viper runs X with
16 colors and 640*480 mode.... At most linux mirrors there is a file called
Viper.faq or Diamond.faq.

My advice is: if you don't have the card yet, buy another one (one that is
supported).
Good Luck
Frank

Post by Pramod Jo » Sun, 22 Jan 1995 05:58:51

>: Anyone run into any problems with this video card?
>: --
>I hope you haven't bought it yet. Diamond offers technical info on the basis of
>a non-disclosure agreement only, meaning that the XFree team couldn't use them
>or couldn't offer sources. Anyway... I think as of now the viper runs X with

Hi,
        I believe that this is not true.  Diamond has changed their position
and now does offer technical info without a nd agreement.  On top of that
XFree 3.1 does have a server for Weitek P9000 based cards (viper)  I have the
viper PCI and I use it every day in 1024x768x256 and I know it works in both
24 and 16 bit color very well.  It is also a reasonably fast card.

Quote:>16 colors and 640*480 mode.... At most linux mirrors there is a file called
>Viper.faq or Diamond.faq.
>My advice is: if you don't have the card yet, buy another one (one that is
>supported).
>Good Luck
>Frank

I like the card. And it works pretty well with XFree 3.1

Pramod

--
Pramod John                     Optical and Discharge Physics

Voice: (217)333-2483            University of Illinois  Urbana-Champaign
      "Blessed are the peacemakers"- Jesus Christ

Post by Pascal van D » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 16:16:05

: >: Anyone run into any problems with this video card?
: >: --
: >I hope you haven't bought it yet. Diamond offers technical info on the basis of
: >a non-disclosure agreement only, meaning that the XFree team couldn't use them
: >or couldn't offer sources. Anyway... I think as of now the viper runs X with

: Hi,
:       I believe that this is not true.  Diamond has changed their position

Correct! It is even possible to run your viper in 1152x900 in 65536
sparkling colors ;) How's that for a change

: I like the card. And it works pretty well with XFree 3.1

Yep... Acceleration is built in bit by bit.. It only will get better ;)

Pascal van Dam

1. Diamond Viper VLB 2Mb and CTX CMS-1561 monitor

I need help with my Diamond Viper VLB and CTX CMS-1561 monitor configurations.

I have gotten X to start using startx, but the resolution is at 640x480.  I
tried modifying the ModeLines, but nothing works.  From what I understand, a
Clocks line isn't needed in the video card definitions, replaced by a
Clockchip line.  When I exist X, I see a list of lines saying that resolutions
800x600 and 1024x768 are not the same as initial resolution "640x480"  (??)

I'll try to get a snipped section of my XF86Config posted and the error
message posted.  Thanks for all the help.

-----------------------------
| Warner Wang               |
-----------------------------

-----------------------------

2. Shell Variable

3. Can't Configure "Diamond Viper VLB 2mb" with Caldera 2.2 and XF86

4. Lockups crashes

5. Xconfig for NEC 5FGp and Diamond Viper VLB 2MB

6. Distro

7. Help: XF86Config for Diamond Viper VLB 2MB + Sony 17sf

8. installing redhat5.2 on compaq contura

9. Diamond Viper VLB -- PCI-VLB mixup????

10. Viper VLB 2Mb + X Windows

11. linux support for Diamond Viper VLB, etc

12. Diamond Viper VLB w/Linux

13. Help with VIPER VLB 2MB XF86Config