getting my cd to work

Post by Dave DellaCost » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hello all,
I have a sony DDU220E (it is a DVD drive) and I want to be able to use
it as a
cd-rom.  It is fully atapi/ide, and from what I understand this should
allow it to work.
I re-configured the kernel with IDE/ATAPI support, and that went
successfully, but
my cd-rom continues to not work.  When I attempt to mount, I get the
message:
"/dev/cd-rom not configured, not a valid block device" (not the exact
message)
upon startup, init recognizes it as an atapi ('type 17?') device but
also proclaims it
un-configured.  It is hdc, and ide1.  What can I do to get this thing
working?  Should
it work or will I be unable to get it to work because it is a DVD-rom?
Are there
config files somewhere that I can manipulate, or do I have to recompile
the kernel
again, or use a module?  Help!!
Thanks much,
-Dave DellaCosta

getting my cd to work

Post by Eri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>hello all,
>I have a sony DDU220E (it is a DVD drive) and I want to be able to use
>it as a
>cd-rom.  It is fully atapi/ide, and from what I understand this should
>allow it to work.
>I re-configured the kernel with IDE/ATAPI support, and that went
>successfully, but
>my cd-rom continues to not work.  When I attempt to mount, I get the
>message:
>"/dev/cd-rom not configured, not a valid block device" (not the exact
>message)
>upon startup, init recognizes it as an atapi ('type 17?') device but
>also proclaims it
>un-configured.  It is hdc, and ide1.  What can I do to get this thing
>working?  Should
>it work or will I be unable to get it to work because it is a DVD-rom?
>Are there
>config files somewhere that I can manipulate, or do I have to recompile
>the kernel
>again, or use a module?  Help!!
>Thanks much,
>-Dave DellaCosta

Sorry Dave, I can't help ya...I'm too "Newbie". I would like to thank you
for the help with my Netscape problem though.

Eric

getting my cd to work

Post by Dave DellaCost » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hey Eric,
no problem.  I am also quite newbie but maybe a few weeks ahead of you.
Quite a learning process, huh?  I'll be happy once I'm off of the microsoft drug,
although I do have to use it at work, where NT crashes my machine regularly.
Okay, nuff *ing.  Good luck.
-Dave

> >hello all,
> >I have a sony DDU220E (it is a DVD drive) and I want to be able to use
> >it as a
> >cd-rom.  It is fully atapi/ide, and from what I understand this should
> >allow it to work.
> >I re-configured the kernel with IDE/ATAPI support, and that went
> >successfully, but
> >my cd-rom continues to not work.  When I attempt to mount, I get the
> >message:
> >"/dev/cd-rom not configured, not a valid block device" (not the exact
> >message)
> >upon startup, init recognizes it as an atapi ('type 17?') device but
> >also proclaims it
> >un-configured.  It is hdc, and ide1.  What can I do to get this thing
> >working?  Should
> >it work or will I be unable to get it to work because it is a DVD-rom?
> >Are there
> >config files somewhere that I can manipulate, or do I have to recompile
> >the kernel
> >again, or use a module?  Help!!
> >Thanks much,
> >-Dave DellaCosta

> Sorry Dave, I can't help ya...I'm too "Newbie". I would like to thank you
> for the help with my Netscape problem though.

> Eric

getting my cd to work

Post by David Ript » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>hello all,
>I have a sony DDU220E (it is a DVD drive) and I want to be able to use
>it as a
>cd-rom.  It is fully atapi/ide, and from what I understand this should
>allow it to work.
>I re-configured the kernel with IDE/ATAPI support, and that went
>successfully, but
>my cd-rom continues to not work.  When I attempt to mount, I get the
>message:
>"/dev/cd-rom not configured, not a valid block device" (not the exact
>message)
>upon startup, init recognizes it as an atapi ('type 17?') device but
>also proclaims it
>un-configured.  It is hdc, and ide1.  What can I do to get this thing
>working?  Should
>it work or will I be unable to get it to work because it is a DVD-rom?
>Are there
>config files somewhere that I can manipulate, or do I have to recompile
>the kernel
>again, or use a module?  Help!!

If you have a Windows partition, or a DOS boot floppy with CDROM
drivers, verify that the CDROM works there, to confirm that you
don't have a hardware problem or a loose cable.

Make sure your BIOS config for that drive is correct.  I find that
setting the IDE channel with the CDROM to autodetect on every boot
helps.  Also make sure that UDMA is off on that channel if the drive
doesn't support it.

Try passing "hdc=cdrom" to the kernel via LILO.

--

spamgard(tm): To email me, put "geek" in your Subject line.

getting my cd to work

Post by Leejay W » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.setup: 12-Oct-99 Re: getting my cd

Quote:>>hello all,
>>I have a sony DDU220E (it is a DVD drive) and I want to be able to use
>>it as a cd-rom.  It is fully atapi/ide, and from what I understand this
>>should allow it to work.
>>I re-configured the kernel with IDE/ATAPI support, and that went
>>successfully, but my cd-rom continues to not work.  When I attempt
>>to mount, I get the message:  "/dev/cd-rom not configured, not a valid
>>block device" (not the exact message) upon startup, init recognizes it
>>as an atapi ('type 17?') device but also proclaims it un-configured.
>>It is hdc, and ide1.  What can I do to get this thing working?  Should
>>it work or will I be unable to get it to work because it is a DVD-rom?
>>Are there config files somewhere that I can manipulate, or do I have
>>to recompile the kernel again, or use a module?  Help!!

It should work.

Things to check:

* Your DVD drive works in any other OS you've got.
* If it's the only drive on its channel, it's jumpered as MASTER.
  Make sure that it's the master on the secondary channel of the
  first IDE controller, since you're calling it hdc.
* Check the /dev/cd-rom file.  Actually, I've never seen a distro
  call it /dev/cd-rom instead of /dev/cdrom, but perhaps it does...
  If you really want /dev/cd-rom, it should be a symlink to /dev/hdc.

  Make sure that the major/minor number of /dev/hdc make sense.

  If it's the wrong link or device file, fix it.
* Make sure your kernel supports ISO9660, IDE block devices,
  and IDECD.
* Presumably you also *recompiled* and *reinstalled* your kernel
  in addition to *reconfiguring* it?  Simply doing a 'make [x|menu]config'
  doesn't rebuild/reinstall the whole thing (or, more precisely,
  build and use lilo).
* Next time, consider posting exact messages as well as the commands
  you used.  That's more useful...
--

|--------------------------| he writes really bad haiku |
|   #include <stddiscl.h>  | readers all go mad         |