PLEASE HELP -- Screen resolution and window sizes in X windows

PLEASE HELP -- Screen resolution and window sizes in X windows

Post by JDSnelder » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've just installed RedHat Linux 6.0 with X windows and I am new to the OS.
I have read the documentation and newsgroup messages by still have a
problem...

I cannot change my screen resolution from 600x480 to 800x600. I've used
Xconfigurator, XF86Setup, XF86Config and modified the XF86Config file. The
best I can do it change the res. from 8-bit to 24-bit without crashing the
server.

Also (I'm not sure if this is a resolution related problem), in X windows
many of the windows are larger than the desktop. I have a 4x4 desktop and
have to move to other screens to see the missing parts of the windows. This
is annoying and I'm wondering if there is a way to maximize screens to stay
within the desktop boundries (with in Microsoft Windows).

Finally, I'm not sure which X server I should use (and which parts of the
"Screen" area of the XF86Config file I should change)... should it be
XF86_SVGA or XF86_S3V (based on specs below)

My Display Card specs are:
            S3 ViRGE/DX 3D Titan2000 Accelerator Card.

1. PLEASE HELP -- Screen resolution and window sizes in X windows

[...]

2. Possible null pointer in drivers/serial/core.c

3. Need X-Windows help (resolution size)

4. WWW to Sybase connectivity Shareware

5. X window size exceedes my screen--pse help

6. Making dip quit when the SLIP connection ha

7. Virtual screen size and screen resolution

8. apache proxy (reverse) information out there

9. Slow window drags - ( X server, video card, window manager, resolution/color depth)

10. X-Windows screen resolution

11. How to Change X Windows Screen Resolution

12. RPM advice sought with respect to vmode and X windows screen resolution quest

13. Screen resolution in KDE/X windows.