zImage vs. bzImage

Post by Phili » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

> This I am not sure about..but I have used kernels as large as 500k..but
> around 573k or something if I remember right, I get the "Kernel too big"
> error..but usually smaller kernels are faster to load..but I am not sure
> about why any limit has been set..perhaps someone should ask Linus..:)
> Regards

My wild guess would be the 640k mem limit.  I don't think LILO does any
sohisticated memory management, so the boot image has to fit between the
first 64k block (int tables) and 0xa000 (reserved for BIOS).

-Philip

zImage vs. bzImage

Post by Zoran Kovacevi » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

My newly compiled kernel under RH5 is about 900k. LILO tells me its too
big, so I did another make xconfig to remove some parts. I feel that I
have removed all that there is to remove, but my kernel is still too big
for LILO.
How do I get LILO to load the new kernel? Or else, are there any
standard pitfalls that I fell into (I read the Kernel-HOWTO).

Thanks in advance,

Zoran

zImage vs. bzImage

Post by Joi Elli » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

: My newly compiled kernel under RH5 is about 900k. LILO tells me its too
: big, so I did another make xconfig to remove some parts. I feel that I
: have removed all that there is to remove, but my kernel is still too big
: for LILO.
: How do I get LILO to load the new kernel? Or else, are there any
: standard pitfalls that I fell into (I read the Kernel-HOWTO).

possible.  This gets the stuff out of the core kernel and into modles
where it will be loaded *after* LILO has load the kernel.

This is what I do.  I've got kerneld running to manage loading the
modules automatically.

: Thanks in advance,

: Zoran

--

Joi Ellis

zImage vs. bzImage

Post by Brian McIlwra » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

: How do I get LILO to load the new kernel? Or else, are there any
: standard pitfalls that I fell into (I read the Kernel-HOWTO).

The standard pitfall which causes this is using the uncompressed kernel
file vmlinux. Make sure that you have gone to arch/i386/boot and then
copied zImage (the compressed kernel) to /boot/vmlinuz (or whereever lilo
expects it)