RedHat 5.0 Networking problem

Post by Kelvin Ta » Mon, 12 Jan 1998 04:00:00

hi,

I just upgraded from Slackware 3.0.1 to RedHat 5.0. I am using NE2000
compatible network card. In slackware, I can configure the network card to
work probably. But after I upgraded to RedHat 5.0 and I am sure I install
RedHat 5.0 properly, there is the following message at bootup:
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward is missing and the network card is not
configured. Does anyone have the similar problem? I would appreciate anyone
help me to solve this problem. Thanks.

Regards,
Kelvin

1. Redhat 5.0 network problem

Hi,

I just installed Redhat Linux 5.0 on both mine and a friends PC
and had a problem setting up the ethernet network card on both PCs.

The menu system asks if you want to set up a network card and so
I choose 'yes'. Next I choose NE2000 and compatible and then auto
detect and it fails. I enter the options exactly (IRQ=9 IO=0x6500)
and it still says the board wasn't found.

I tried the exact card (intel brand... forget model now) on my friends
machine and get the same result. Is there a problem with the network
support? Is redhat 5.0 non-PlugandPlay friendly?

The only problem I can see is that on my machine at least, there is a
plug and play 'conflict' displayed when redhat boots, but I dont think
the board address displayed are the network card so....

-Richard Nichols
--
/-----------------\
| Richard Nichols | Take a look to the sky just before you die
|                 | It is the last time you will
|  aka Tiberius   | Blackened roar, massive roar fills the crumbling sky
|                 | Shattered goal fills his soul with a ruthless cry
| Studying:       | Stranger now, are his eyes, to this mystery
|                 | He hears the silence so loud
| Bachelor of     | Crack of dawn, all is gone except the will to be
| Comp. Science   | Now they see what will be, blinded eyes to see
| at Monash Uni.  |
| Melbourne, Aus. | For whom the bell tolls...
\-----------------/
                http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~rjnic3/

2. Frequently Asked Questions about Unix - with Answers [Monthly posting]

3. 3COM network performance problems with Redhat 5.0

4. Threads

5. Network problems with RedHat 5.0

6. Meaning of word ,,hacker''

7. Help: RedHat Linux 5.0 network setup problem

8. cd player.

9. redhat 5.0 help needed with network

10. installing my network with redhat 5.0

11. Networking cards not listed in the Redhat 5.0 install.

12. How to setup a dial-up network on RedHat 5.0?

13. Redhat 5.0 Falls Off Network after bootup(?)