CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

Post by Charles Come » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I hate to ask the often answered, but I have a TDK VeloCD CD-RW in my PII
233 machine installed as a master on the secondary IDE. I'm running
Mandrake-linux 7.0, and of course I get the bad link problem. I have run the
fix suggested on Mandrake's Web-page, but I can't figure a way to make the
fix either permenant or automatic. The fix (in case you haven't seen it is
to run "cdrecord -scanbus" to check for the presence of a working CD-RW,
then to type "cd /dev && rm cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom" in a terminal) This
fix works but there's got to be a better way...any thoughts.

CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

Post by Rob Ristro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I think the right thing to do is to put the commands you want to run
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  That file is a script that is executed on
bootup.

It also seems to me that those commands should be permanent, so that
is puzzleing.  Does it always reboot into the broken state ?  It would
seem very strange that it should sometimes boot into the broken state
and sometimes into the working state.

But that is the way it happens, you can write a script to check the
workingness by calling cdrecord -scanbus and only redo the /dev
linking if needed.

--Rob

Charles>
Charles> I hate to ask the often answered, but I have a TDK VeloCD
Charles> CD-RW in my PII 233 machine installed as a master on the
Charles> secondary IDE. I'm running Mandrake-linux 7.0, and of course
Charles> I get the bad link problem. I have run the fix suggested on
Charles> Mandrake's Web-page, but I can't figure a way to make the fix
Charles> either permenant or automatic. The fix (in case you haven't
Charles> seen it is to run "cdrecord -scanbus" to check for the
Charles> presence of a working CD-RW, then to type "cd /dev && rm
Charles> cdrom && ln -s scd0 cdrom" in a terminal) This fix works but
Charles> there's got to be a better way...any thoughts.
Charles>
Charles>
Charles>

1. XF86 Config set-up woes & woes & woes

I'm running SLACKWARE 3.0 and I'm having a very difficult time setting
up the X-window.  I keep getting these areas listed below, look through
the man pages but to no avail, changing options and not knowing what
options are the problem, even using my hardware description of the
devices.  Anyway listed below are my describtions of hardware for the
mouse, monitor and video card.

Mouse: PS-2 mouse with 3-button(generic)

Video Card: RIVA TNT (AGP) w/16mb ram

Errors:
Fatal Server Error
Mouse not found (Device or Resource Busy)
initrc file or directory not found

I follow the xf86config defaults when asking where to put the symbolic
links for the /usr/X11R6/bin

Help is needed, tks in advance
--
Kevin Lacey

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. PCI/SCSI adapters (Does Buslogic 946 work?)

3. ide-scsi cd-rw woes (creative cd-rw blaster)

4. What is the the *real* overhead of a typical OS

5. net-2 woes (was upgrade woes)

6. Mail from Linux to MS-Windows-Postoffice

7. Oh my woes with mod_rewrite :(

8. Problem? 802.1q kernel 2.4.18-rc1-rmap12f

9. Oh Woe is my lilo [going from loadlin to lilo almost ;(]

10. Oh woe is me, compiling is hell

11. Oh, woe is me, my life is a misery (wu-ftpd broken AGAIN!)

12. Iomega USB CD-RW woes

13. CD-RW woes