newbie X setup with a Banshee board.

Post by ylfeh » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I've installed OpenLinux 1.3 successfully and everything is running
fine, but a have a major problem with X :

I have a Guillemot Maxi Gamer Phoenix with 16Mb Ram, and I am unable to
get anything above 640x480 in 16 colors. I've tried using various
servers and configs to no avail.

This card is based on a 3DFX Voodoo Banshee chip, and goes up to
1600x1200*32bpp in Win95/98.

Is there a specific server  I can use ?

Thanks for the help

Post by Rick Moe » Fri, 01 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: This card is based on a 3DFX Voodoo Banshee chip, and goes up to
: 1600x1200*32bpp in Win95/98.

: Is there a specific server  I can use ?

For now, you need to run a 2.1.x kernel and use the experimental
"framebuffer" device.

http://www.uno.edu/~adamico/banshee/

Other than that:
http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/#Banshee

   Q.F25- Is a server for the Voodoo Banshee or other 3Dfx chips
   available?

   Boards based on Voodoo Banshee (or any other 3Dfx chips) are not
   supported in XFree86, as programming documentation is not available.
   We are working with 3dfx on a solution to solve this problem but
   haven't been successful, yet.

Rick Moen