Dialin to Linux box and access the network resources

Dialin to Linux box and access the network resources

Post by George Maren » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Can a Linux box be set up so that I can dial in to it and access all
available network resources? In the Windows world I can use an
NT Server running RRAS to do this but I don't know if and how this
can be done with Linux.

I have a cable modem connected to a Linux box with IP masquerading
enabled and I'd like to be able to call into the Linux box using a
regular modem and then be able to access the Internet through
the cable modem. Pointers to a How-To/Mini How-To or direct
information would be appreciated.

Dialin to Linux box and access the network resources

Post by Ross Crawfor » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

George,

Look for a program called mgetty. I have it running on my linux box at
home, and can dial in as a terminal, or using ppp. I can even send
myself faxes!!!

Regards,

ROSCO

Post by George Maren » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>> Can a Linux box be set up so that I can dial in to it and access all
>> available network resources?

>http://www.swpc.com/~jgentry/dialin2.html

Umm, thanks, I think.

While it's nice to see that it can be done, your link doesn't work.

It give a 404 error on the link, even on ~jgentry.

1. Linux dialin for network access

Maybe someone can help me:

I have setup a linux gateway running Slackware 7.1 (Kernel 2.2.16) currently
used for dialing into an isp on a small static ip NT 4.0 server network, and
want to get dial-in acces from a remote windows 9x client to browse the
network through the gateway.

I setup mgetty (1.1.21), using Auto-PPP and PAP, and it allows a client to
dial-in to the gateway, and can ping all machines on the network. I assumed
i would have to run samba to get access to a windows network, so i installed
samba (2.0.7) and set it up to use the NT server (which is the PDC) to
authenticate users, and used the "security = domain" option in smb.conf.
Samba seems to work fine too (on the gateway).

I have (at least) 2 problems.

Firstly, how do i get the gateway to allow a remote client to browse the
windows network? Am i right in using samba etc, am i doing something stupid,
or am i going about this the wrong way? Do i need any additional software?

Secondly a samba issue. I added the samba server to the NT domain on the PDC
as a workstation or server, and the am able to join the domain unsing the
"smbpasswd -j the_domain -r the_PDC", but if i restart the gateway machine
it comes up with an error saying "failed to change machine password" etc,
and is the unable to join the domain, until i remove and the add it to the
domain on the NT PDC. Is this normal? And is this a samba or nt issue? I
tried the "-m"option with smbpasswd (probably incorrectly) but that didnt
work either.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. ipchains firewalling

3. How to access resources on UNIX network from your Windows network.

4. ACtual modem connect speeds

5. trouble with pppd setup for dialin access to network.

6. Problem on using grep/egrep

7. new linux box added to network can't access internet

8. gv printing broken

9. Accessing second level network via linksys router and linux box

10. Internet access to network vi linux box

11. Network Internet and Email access via a linux box

12. Cannot access Linux box from Win98 box

13. CDROM access for SGI box via Linux box