1. Linux dialin for network access
Maybe someone can help me:
I have setup a linux gateway running Slackware 7.1 (Kernel 2.2.16) currently
used for dialing into an isp on a small static ip NT 4.0 server network, and
want to get dial-in acces from a remote windows 9x client to browse the
network through the gateway.
I setup mgetty (1.1.21), using Auto-PPP and PAP, and it allows a client to
dial-in to the gateway, and can ping all machines on the network. I assumed
i would have to run samba to get access to a windows network, so i installed
samba (2.0.7) and set it up to use the NT server (which is the PDC) to
authenticate users, and used the "security = domain" option in smb.conf.
Samba seems to work fine too (on the gateway).
I have (at least) 2 problems.
Firstly, how do i get the gateway to allow a remote client to browse the
windows network? Am i right in using samba etc, am i doing something stupid,
or am i going about this the wrong way? Do i need any additional software?
Secondly a samba issue. I added the samba server to the NT domain on the PDC
as a workstation or server, and the am able to join the domain unsing the
"smbpasswd -j the_domain -r the_PDC", but if i restart the gateway machine
it comes up with an error saying "failed to change machine password" etc,
and is the unable to join the domain, until i remove and the add it to the
domain on the NT PDC. Is this normal? And is this a samba or nt issue? I
tried the "-m"option with smbpasswd (probably incorrectly) but that didnt
If anyone can help it would be appreciated.
2. ipchains firewalling
3. How to access resources on UNIX network from your Windows network.
4. ACtual modem connect speeds
5. trouble with pppd setup for dialin access to network.
6. Problem on using grep/egrep
7. new linux box added to network can't access internet
8. gv printing broken
9. Accessing second level network via linksys router and linux box
10. Internet access to network vi linux box
11. Network Internet and Email access via a linux box
12. Cannot access Linux box from Win98 box
13. CDROM access for SGI box via Linux box