Installing RH 5.1 w/ an older CD-Rom drive

Installing RH 5.1 w/ an older CD-Rom drive

Post by Todd Ostermeie » Sun, 03 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm currently helping a friend install Linux on a spare 486 he has sitting
around.  The problem is that he has an older CD-ROM drive.  It's a Philips
cm205ms, and I've got a hacked module for the cm206 that will work w/ this
drive.  However, I'm not exactly sure *where* this module needs to go on
RH's boot disk so that it can be loaded prior to installing the system.  I
tried compiling a kernel for him with built in support, but the setup
program wants to install the cdrom as a module, and won't even look at the
kernel to see if the support is there.  My question is:  How do I add a
module to a RH bootdisk so that he can use his CD to install?

We've tried several other install methods, such as an ftp install from
several different sites (which always died for some reason or another),
and an ftp install from the cd mounted on his NT machine.  That one didn't
work because it kept seeing the filenames as 8.3 rather than the proper
names.  The only two options we have left would be to pull the cdrom drive
out of his NT machine and put it in the 486 (which we're not even sure can
handle it), or mirror the cd onto the NT drive, and try the ftp install
from there (which may die like the other ftp installs did -- I wish I
could remember what the error messages were, but it's been a while).

any suggestions?

________________________________

Todd Ostermeier

http://www.ews.uiuc.edu/~ostermer/index.html
ICQ UIN: 2253928
A-723
________________________________

1. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

I have a problem with my FreeBSD installation.

I have an older Panasonic Drive connected to a Sound16A sound card
(Standard Packard Bell 486 SX Legend set-up). I cannot get FreeBSD 2.2.6
to recognize the drive.  Red Hat Linux accepted it as a standard
Panasonic drive, but FreeBSD tells me there are no CD drives present.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Andrew Sherrod

2. How stable is Postgresql?

3. RH 5.1 install- CD-ROM and IDE pains

4. GSI IDE Controllers (yeah/neah)?

5. RH 5.1 CD-ROM install problem

6. mail problem help

7. RH 5.1 CD-ROM problem

8. ftp

9. Red Hat Linux 5.1 and Sony CDU 711 CD-ROM Drive

10. RedHat 5.1 install failed -- can't use ATAPI CD-ROM

11. Can't Install SuSE 5.1 from Creative Labs CD-ROM

12. CD-ROM Drive/CD-ROM Bundle

13. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive