Help: unable to boot using boot/root disks

Help: unable to boot using boot/root disks

Post by YS Yang (~{QnSqK+ » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Due to problems in installing the new ppp code on my linux slackware 2.2.0
(kernel 1.2.1), I am trying to re-install the whole system using salckware
3.0 (kernel 1.2.13). I saw a lot of comments that the 1.2.13 kernel is the
most stable one at the moment. However, I am not getting any luck with it
-- I can't even boot with the boot and root disks. The following are the
details:

(1) My hardware: 486DX50 on a vesa local bus motherboard. 8M RAM, two hard
disks, SoundBlaster 16 + Panasonic 562 (double speed) CD-ROM drive, a IBM
floppy drive -- it is an integrated unit with both 3.5" and 5.25" drives.

(2) The slackware version: a local mirror site of the sunsite.unc.edu.

(3) For boot disk, I tried both "sbpcd" and "asbpcd". Both of them display
a message
 "No BIOS32 extension present. This release still depends on it. ..."
Other messages seems normal (I am unable to read them all as they go too
fast).

(4) After the boot disk, it asks the root disk. For root disk, I tried both
color.gz and text.gz. They display the same message as the following:
  Corrupted input
  RAMDISK: gzip header not found - continuing with conventional load
  Transaction block size = 512
  end_request: I/O error, dev 2100, sector 427488
  isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 0x2100 iso_blknum 106872
  Kernel panic: VFS Unable to mount root fs on 21:00
The machine stops at this point.

(5) I installed a older version of linux slackware two years ago without
any problems. I also successfully installed linux slackware 2.2.0 (kernel
1.2.1) which comes on a CD-ROM without too much difficulties.

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. I am totally frustrated at
this point.

Thanks in advance

YS Yang

http://www.maths.mu.oz.au~/yang/

1. Unable to boot Linux from disk (VFS:Unable to mount root)

I had installed RH6.1 on a disk connected to a Promise Ultra/66
controller. Had done so by passing the I/O addresses of ide2 and ide3 at
the LILO boot prompt. Was able to boot until I had to drop one of the PCI
cards from the PC. Now I can only boot from the boot floppy using the I/O
addresses and the kernel recognises the drives on the Ultra/66, but when I
try the same with the installed kernel, I get a VFS: Unable to mount root
message. Any pointers??

2. news 2.10.3 (or later)

3. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

4. drivers/net/Makefile fixes smc91c92 module linkage, kernel 2.4.20

5. boot/root disks using ram disk

6. Joystick in 2.1.x

7. converting from BSDI to linux

8. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

9. Uanble to boot with LINUX boot disk - new user - help help help, PLEASE !!

10. Boot disk unable to recognize compressed root image

11. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

12. Unable to install Slackware 2.2.0 with boot/root disks