Usenet problems: getting article headers but not the articles themselves

Usenet problems: getting article headers but not the articles themselves

Post by Bob Wightma » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi folks,

After a break (enforced) from Linux I spent a merry hour reading up and
then installing INN on my system this morning. Having set the daemon
running I connected to my ISP and ran KRN (I am running KDE). The
program downloaded a list of all the current newsgroups for me to choose
from. No problem so far.

After choosing appropriate newsgroups, I reconnected and the header
information for the messages was downloaded but none of the actual body
text was downloaded. When trying to access it KRN gave a message that it
wasn't able to find the message but that it could be found on deja-news.

I am not sure if I have set up my newsfeed correctly or it is a problem
with KRN. Note that if I try to use TRN it doesn't run properly, just
keeps flashing the normal Linux prompt; XRN comes up with a welcome
screen but closes immediately I press the spacebar as indicated.

I am running Red Hat 5.2, KDE 1.1, INN 1.7.2

TIA

Bob Wightman

Usenet problems: getting article headers but not the articles themselves

Post by Bob Wightma » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi folks,

>After a break (enforced) from Linux I spent a merry hour reading up and
>then installing INN on my system this morning. Having set the daemon
>running I connected to my ISP and ran KRN (I am running KDE). The
>program downloaded a list of all the current newsgroups for me to choose
>from. No problem so far.

>After choosing appropriate newsgroups, I reconnected and the header
>information for the messages was downloaded but none of the actual body
>text was downloaded. When trying to access it KRN gave a message that it
>wasn't able to find the message but that it could be found on deja-news.

>I am not sure if I have set up my newsfeed correctly or it is a problem
>with KRN. Note that if I try to use TRN it doesn't run properly, just
>keeps flashing the normal Linux prompt; XRN comes up with a welcome
>screen but closes immediately I press the spacebar as indicated.

My apologies as I have now sorted out the problem myself. The newsfeed
had downloaded the last month's worth of postings but some of those had
expired and it was those that I was trying to access :-) Once I sorted
out what was going on, not helped by KRN's help file stating *this
section has not been written yet* for nearly everything, I was up and
running.

Bob Wightman

Post by Roberto Alsin » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >Hi folks,

> >After a break (enforced) from Linux I spent a merry hour reading up
and
> >then installing INN on my system this morning. Having set the daemon
> >running I connected to my ISP and ran KRN (I am running KDE). The
> >program downloaded a list of all the current newsgroups for me to
choose
> >from. No problem so far.

> >After choosing appropriate newsgroups, I reconnected and the header
> >information for the messages was downloaded but none of the actual
body
> >text was downloaded. When trying to access it KRN gave a message that
it
> >wasn't able to find the message but that it could be found on
deja-news.

> >I am not sure if I have set up my newsfeed correctly or it is a
problem
> >with KRN. Note that if I try to use TRN it doesn't run properly, just
> >keeps flashing the normal Linux prompt; XRN comes up with a welcome
> >screen but closes immediately I press the spacebar as indicated.

> My apologies as I have now sorted out the problem myself. The newsfeed
> had downloaded the last month's worth of postings but some of those
had
> expired and it was those that I was trying to access :-) Once I sorted
> out what was going on, not helped by KRN's help file stating *this
> section has not been written yet* for nearly everything, I was up and
> running.

Sorry about that. But hey! document submissions are gladly accepted ;-)

I'm a bit busy coding right now (and honestly, writing docs feels so
much like work :-P)

--
Roberto Alsina (author of a chunk of Krn)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. A new article: "Java and Jakarta Tomcat for FreeBSD" article for the FDP

Hello,

Thanks for the information.  I noticed some of the spelling mistakes and
stuff before, but I will correct them when the article will get committed,
and it will be the first thing I would do. :)

I will also fix section 2 for this.  Also, regarding section 3.2, when I
and my co-author were writing this article, Tomcat4 the port was not out
yet, so we had to document the other way.

In the Problem Report which holds this article, I have made changes a
couple of times and sent it to the PR, and people are not very happy
for my so called "quick changes" so I have agreed with some developers
that I will make all the changes when it gets committed. :)

Thanks for info btw,
Regards,

  -- Hiten

2. Help! install kernel

3. article replying/usenet

4. help with KPPP

5. Deleting Usenet Articles

6. xload utility for single process?

7. program to remove the headers a news article

8. Networking

9. KNode - delete headers/articles?

10. Leafnode won't fetch articles/headers

11. RFC anticipated fetching only pre-header-read-articles !

12. Error on posting news, but article gets posted...

13. KNode: getting new articles on startup