size restrictions on linux kernels

Post by Andrew John BEEKHO » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Please indulge me for a moment, but does linux impose a size limit on
the size of the kernel?  how else can one explain the following message:

"make zlilo"  (or even "make boot")

Root device is (3,3)
Boot sector 512 bytes
Setup is 3196 bytes
System is 545 kB
System is too big. Try using modules or bzImage.

Why does such a limit exist?  I know i can get around the problem, but
it occurs to me that i shouldn't really have to.

Any feedback appreciated.

---
                            Andrew Beekhof

size restrictions on linux kernels

Post by Marijn Ro » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Please indulge me for a moment, but does linux impose a size limit on
> the size of the kernel?  how else can one explain the following message:

> "make zlilo"  (or even "make boot")

> Root device is (3,3)
> Boot sector 512 bytes
> Setup is 3196 bytes
> System is 545 kB
> System is too big. Try using modules or bzImage.

> Why does such a limit exist?  I know i can get around the problem, but
> it occurs to me that i shouldn't really have to.

I think this is becasue LILO is a 16 bit program and 16 bit programs can
only access the first 640 kb of your memory. The kernel has to be loaded
by LILO, and as such has to be smaller that something around 500 kb (the
rest is probably taken up by LILO itself).

Just a guess,
        Marijn

 April 15 1998: fys.ruu.nl -> phys.uu.nl
 Commercial and/or unsolicited email and/or spam will be
 processed for a DFL100 handling fee. Unsolicited sending
 constitutes acceptance.

1. File size restriction on Linux :

Hi,

I am using linux kernel 2.2.5 (SuSE 6.1)

I want to create a file of size 4 Gbytes. I tried to do it with the
following command :

dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/xxx.txt count=4000000 ibs=1024

The process stops after creating the file of size 2147482648 which is
nothing but 2 Gbytes.

Though linux howto documents does not say any restriction on the files
regarding the file size (I am also refering to a book on Linux Kernel), I
don't know why am I not alloed to create such a big file.

Is there any way of acieving it or that's a limitation??

Thanx in advance.

Regards,
Rekha Kulkarni.

2. Telnet Option Negotiation

3. IDE CDROM packet command buffer size restriction.

4. Multiple DMZs via IPFW help needed...

5. OpenServer 4.03. Restrictions about size of HDs?

6. Problems with XFree86 4.0.2

7. file size restrictions?

8. 2 NICs in RH box, DHCP don't wanna work

9. Root login restrictions, without complete su restriction?

10. Allow for profile_buf size = kernel text size

11. proposal: feed smaller mailing lists into linux-kernel, add linux-kernel-core and linux-kernel-bugs

12. not inline code in kernel (reducing kernel size)

13. Linux Kernel Size, POSIX, Embedded