mandrake x font server. please help!

Post by dan » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 08:16:45

i just installed mandrake linux.  my x windows system worked fine yesterday
but today it won't start, presumably due to this error:

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

does anyone know how to resolve this problem?  it's driving me insane!

thank you very much,

dan

Post by Eric » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 17:50:31

> i just installed mandrake linux.  my x windows system worked fine yesterday
> but today it won't start, presumably due to this error:

> _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

> does anyone know how to resolve this problem?  it's driving me insane!

> thank you very much,

does `df` show that /tmp is 100% filled?

Eric

mandrake x font server. please help!

Post by Duane Healin » Tue, 06 Feb 2001 19:25:29

Look at the "FontPath" Entries near the beginning of your XF86Config
file (usually in /etc/X11 or /usr/X11R6/lib/X11). There will be a line
that reads "FontPath        "unix/:7100" or something like that - the
port number may be different. Comment that line out and try starting
X again. Assuming you've got other hard coded font paths defined you
should be working at that point. If not, then there's either something
wrong with your font server (misconfigured or not starting on boot) or
your networking (unable to connect to font server), in which case fixing
it gets more complicated. I'm a big fan of font servers myself and
suggest going with one entirely and eliminating hard coded font paths. I
don't know if this is the approach that Mandrake takes though, never used
it.

--
-Duane
-DNAware SoftLabs

> i just installed mandrake linux.  my x windows system worked fine
> yesterday but today it won't start, presumably due to this error:

> _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1' Fatal server error: could not
> open default font 'fixed'

> does anyone know how to resolve this problem?  it's driving me insane!

> thank you very much,

> dan

1. X font server crash with mandrake. HELP !

Hi
When I do "startx" on Mandrake 7.2, I have a error msg and it's new :

_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect errno = 111
failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
Fatal server error
could not open default font 'fixed'

I delete the leftover lockfile of xfs :

and I restart the X font server :

But when I do :

I have about this :

xfs is dead but the lockfile is here (I'm not sure of the end of the line
but it's similar)

and if make "startx" a new time it's the same problem

this problem arrives after some weeks of use. It'is not the first time,
already with mandrake 7.1 7.2 and 8.0 !

If somebody can help me, please send your reply to :

And sorry for my very bad english.

2. 0/6 2.5.44 scsi multi-path IO

3. Please help Mandrake 9.0 and NAT forwarding for public web server.

4. Modem locks when I startx, help!

5. Bad fonts on server - help please.

6. hellp!!! Telnet ... canot work

7. XF86 Server error: could not open default cursor font 'cursor' PLEASE HELP!

8. host names not working- ping vs telnet

9. Help on xfs X font-server please?

10. Please help me with XFSTT font server...

11. Best fonts / font config for KDE (Mandrake)?

12. mandrake x font server

13. Font Server Failure - Mandrake 7.2