avoiding USB support at start-up

Post by Massimo Pint » Mon, 07 May 2001 18:13:13

Dear community,

Some time ago I have upgraded my linux distribution to include USB support,
with kernel 2.2.16 from the Red Hat 7.0 distribution. Then I bought a USB
Iomega Zip Drive, 100 Mb, that I planned to use on my Toshiba Tecra 720 CDT
laptop. Later on I was told that in order to use the usb-storage module I
needed  to upgrade to kernel 2.4.x, so I compiled 2.4.2 with kgcc and making
sure that all the packages needed were up to date.

Despite the support received from several newsgroups, I have had little
success, as I am still unable to mount my zip drives.

The main problem is that, approximately 70% of the times, my laptop would
not boot at all, freezing when loading the usb-ohci module (I have a NEC
Corporation USB controller, rev 01) or, if that step is passed, it
freezes when mounting the USB filesystem, or later, when checking for new
hardware. Some times I have to try booting my laptop 6 times and more before
I can start working. If the machine boots, I can work happily but loading
all
the relevant modules and mounting the drive has no effect.

I have decided that, on a temporary basis, before I manage to dedicate some
time to study what is needed to sort out al these problems, I should let my
laptop boot smoothly, thus I would like to remove USB support completely at
start-up. I am sure there is a way out, but I have invested so much time to
date that is time now to meet the deadlines for the work that I have got to
do.

I don't know whether this has to be done by Kudzu, by chkconfig or what.

Could anyone please help by telling me how to control hardware support at
start-up?

Thanks in advance

 Massimo Pinto

---
Massimo Pinto
Ph.D. Student
Gray Laboratory Cancer Research Trust
http://www.graylab.ac.uk/usr/pinto

avoiding USB support at start-up

Post by Duane Healin » Mon, 07 May 2001 21:17:44

Build a new kernel with no USB support.

--
-Duane
-DNAware SoftLabs

In a feverish moment of semi-lucidity, "Massimo Pinto"

[yadda, yadda, yadda]

Quote:> I would like to remove USB support
> completely at start-up.

avoiding USB support at start-up

Post by Massimo Pint » Tue, 08 May 2001 05:51:07

Right. Sounds like a simple idea, but what if USB came as a module with the
pre-built kernel 2.2.16 that came with RedHat 7?

More generally, I would like to ask how to manage the modules that are to be
loaded at boot time, if modules are available.

Another question comes to my mind. I have compiled the kernel 2.4.2 a few
times now, looking carefully in the properties of each "element" of the
config stage, that I do via xconfig. Still there are a few features of my
pre-built 2.2.16 that I cannot reproduce with the newer kernel as I compile
it. Is there a way, given a kernel, to trace all the config options that
were given to compile it in the way it is? In this way, I could check what
do I need to include in kernel 2.4.2 to make it work better than my 2.2.16.

Thanks again

Massimo

> Build a new kernel with no USB support.

> --
> -Duane
> -DNAware SoftLabs

> In a feverish moment of semi-lucidity, "Massimo Pinto"

> [yadda, yadda, yadda]

I liked that.

Quote:> > I would like to remove USB support
> > completely at start-up.

---

Post by Michael Meissne » Wed, 09 May 2001 08:22:36

> Dear community,

> Some time ago I have upgraded my linux distribution to include USB support,
> with kernel 2.2.16 from the Red Hat 7.0 distribution. Then I bought a USB
> Iomega Zip Drive, 100 Mb, that I planned to use on my Toshiba Tecra 720 CDT
> laptop. Later on I was told that in order to use the usb-storage module I
> needed  to upgrade to kernel 2.4.x, so I compiled 2.4.2 with kgcc and making
> sure that all the packages needed were up to date.

> Despite the support received from several newsgroups, I have had little
> success, as I am still unable to mount my zip drives.

> The main problem is that, approximately 70% of the times, my laptop would
> not boot at all, freezing when loading the usb-ohci module (I have a NEC
> Corporation USB controller, rev 01) or, if that step is passed, it
> freezes when mounting the USB filesystem, or later, when checking for new
> hardware. Some times I have to try booting my laptop 6 times and more before
> I can start working. If the machine boots, I can work happily but loading
> all
> the relevant modules and mounting the drive has no effect.

> I have decided that, on a temporary basis, before I manage to dedicate some
> time to study what is needed to sort out al these problems, I should let my
> laptop boot smoothly, thus I would like to remove USB support completely at
> start-up. I am sure there is a way out, but I have invested so much time to
> date that is time now to meet the deadlines for the work that I have got to
> do.

> I don't know whether this has to be done by Kudzu, by chkconfig or what.

> Could anyone please help by telling me how to control hardware support at
> start-up?

(Note, I work on GCC, not on Linux, so take what I say about Linux as being
personal opinions).

Assuming you built the USB controller as a module, I believe what you want to
do is edit /etc/modules.conf (it might be under the old name of
/etc/conf.modules) and delete the following line:

        alias usb-controller usb-ohci

That would allow you to still load the USB controller by hand, using modprobe.
If you have compiled the USB controller directly into the kernel, you will have
to rebuild the kernel with the USB support either compiled as modules, or not
compiled at all.  You probably should remove the lines that refer to the zip
drive from /etc/fstab if they exist.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)

avoiding USB support at start-up

Post by Kenneth Crud » Thu, 10 May 2001 05:38:09

Quote:>The main problem is that, approximately 70% of the times, my laptop would
>not boot at all, freezing when loading the usb-ohci module (I have a NEC
>Corporation USB controller, rev 01) or, if that step is passed, it
>freezes when mounting the USB filesystem, or later, when checking for new
>hardware.

Does your setup work under Windows OK? I use my USB Zip all the time with
no problems (iNtel UHCI, alternate controller). You could have hardware
problems.

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup   Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.

Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217  Fremont, CA 94536-7525          (510) 745-8181
Work:  See: "Home2". The hell with slow Bay Area drivers!     (510) 745-0101

avoiding USB support at start-up

Post by Kenneth Crud » Thu, 10 May 2001 05:39:22

Quote:>More generally, I would like to ask how to manage the modules that are to be
>loaded at boot time, if modules are available.

man modprobe

In fact, this is how I do it. I have core USB support compiled into my
kernels (UHCI controller only), then I "modprobe" every component I need
into the system as I need it.

        -Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup   Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Washington, D.C.

Home2: 38010 Village Cmn. #217  Fremont, CA 94536-7525          (510) 745-8181
Work:  See: "Home2". The hell with slow Bay Area drivers!     (510) 745-0101

1. USB host controllers and Linux support : which ones recommended/to avoid

Hi,

I'm going to plug several dozens of USB modems into a single PC, for
testing purposes.

I'll be using several cascaded USB hubs, and possibly additional PCI USB
controllers.

Before shopping for a motherboard and controllers, I'd like to know what
brands of USB host controllers are best supported and most stable under
Linux, and on the contrary if there are brands to avoid (VIA comes to
mind, but I haven't found hard facts on this...)

Also, does anyone have experience with plugging a large number of USB
devices (around 50) simultaneously ?

Thanks in advance...

2. Is ttyS1 com1 or com2? Mixed it with cua0, cua1...

3. APC USB ups, Back-UPS ES series, 2.5.68

4. Introducing Linux to newbies with a nice presentation

5. APC USB UPS support?

6. Does Netscape 2.0b1 have the CCI feature like in Mosaic?

7. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

8. DEC Alpha port of NetBSD

9. Linux USB support project started

10. usb support on USB

11. AVOID* Computers Ur Way * AVOID

12. TCP congestion-avoiding slow start mode

13. Avoiding dependency of process on xterm from which it started