how do I disable telnet login with certain user id, only allowing console login?

how do I disable telnet login with certain user id, only allowing console login?

Post by sean o » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi All,

I have a user named "shutdown" which does  kill the xdm and shutting
down the system. As a default to RedHat distribution, login to root is
only allowed in console. I like to make "shutdown" like that. I mean
allowing only console login, not telnet login.

How do I do that?
could someone please help me out? Well, there is a passwd to shutdown so
it is not big deal.. but it will be nice to make it that way.

TIA

--
seung-hong sean oh                 ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

 http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~oh  (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
 http://seung-hong.ganet.net/      ..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
-- Linux RULES!!!                 (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'

1. NIS allows remote login but not console login?

I setup a Solaris 2.5 machine as an NIS client (HPUX 10.10 machines are
the NIS servers), but the Solaris machine is only allowing logins
through NIS _remotely_! That is, if a login is not found in the passwd
file but can be found over NIS (using the "+" in /etc/passwd), that user
can only rlogin/telnet to the Solaris machine, but not login at the
console!

Okay, to be even more specific (I did a little troubleshooting), login
to Solaris (the windowing system) or CDE does _not_ work. However, a
text-only console login works fine (just like rlogin/telnet).

Any ideas why text-only logins work but not windowes console logins? I
don't want to resort to a script that copies necessary logins to the
/etc/passwd file.

Thanks,
  John

PS: I'd appreciate email replies as well, since I don't get around to
this group often (but I did read the FAQ and as many posts about NIS
before posting this!)

2. VNC on Solaris for Intel

3. Not able to login under a certain user ID due to swap space issue

4. BASIC for Linux?!?

5. How can I allow root login from telnet, not only console ?!

6. How to deal with Ctrl+C in Telnet server

7. Telnet refused. Console login allowed (Not root)Why?

8. GCC fix for AMD K6

9. LAN Telnet logins allowed, Internet not allowed

10. how to allow some users to only login on console?

11. No users (Even root) can login from any termial, console, or telnet.

12. How to not allow certain users ftp/telnet etc...permissions?

13. How to allow same login ID for different email hosts?