I am having trouble setting up KDE, and any help would be most appreciated

I am having trouble setting up KDE, and any help would be most appreciated

Post by Hunter Thoma » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The sitch is that I have recently installed Slackware, the newest
version, with all the suggested packs. Now, when I start startx
(XFree86), I get the default windows manager. How do I change this? I
can't seem to find any of the config files mentioned in any of the docs
for X windows or kde, so any help would be MOST appreciated. I am
totally stumped.

Also, how do you switch vid modes in XF86?
--
TTFN
When I get to the bottom I go back to the top

I am having trouble setting up KDE, and any help would be most appreciated

Post by Thand » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

did spake thusly:

Quote:>The sitch is that I have recently installed Slackware, the newest
>version, with all the suggested packs. Now, when I start startx
>(XFree86), I get the default windows manager. How do I change this? I
>can't seem to find any of the config files mentioned in any of the docs
>for X windows or kde, so any help would be MOST appreciated. I am
>totally stumped.

add the line:
startkde
to your .xinitrc which lives in your home directory. Create it if
necessary.

Quote:>Also, how do you switch vid modes in XF86?

You can switch resolution while X is running by hitting <ctrl> <alt> <+>
or <ctrl> <alt> <-> (The plus and minus on the numeric keypad). Colour
depth can not be changed on the fly, as far as I know, the best way to
change that is to edit your XF86Config, which is in the /etc directory
under slackware. Find the Screen section, and change the number on the line
"DefaultColorDepth" to the number of bpp you desire.

--
- Thandor, of Donuts Inc:
Through emulation of Homer Simpson we shall attain perfection.

Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

I am having trouble setting up KDE, and any help would be most appreciated

Post by Hunter Thoma » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the quick responce. I really think that Linux is not only the best
OS because of it's speed and stability, which it beats all others at hands
down, but also because of the huge human network of support for it. I mean, how
many people do you know that would be so nice about a snooze95 question? None,
personally.

> did spake thusly:
> >The sitch is that I have recently installed Slackware, the newest
> >version, with all the suggested packs. Now, when I start startx
> >(XFree86), I get the default windows manager. How do I change this? I
> >can't seem to find any of the config files mentioned in any of the docs
> >for X windows or kde, so any help would be MOST appreciated. I am
> >totally stumped.

> add the line:
> startkde
> to your .xinitrc which lives in your home directory. Create it if
> necessary.

Ok, I still am a little curiouse. What other things should I put into the file?
I mean, are there any other configuration options that are on by default, that
inculding this file would turn off? Also, should I use the full path of KDE? I
don't have /opt/kde/bin in my path, I figure if I did have it, then I would not
need it, so how do I add it?

Quote:

> >Also, how do you switch vid modes in XF86?

> You can switch resolution while X is running by hitting <ctrl> <alt> <+>
> or <ctrl> <alt> <-> (The plus and minus on the numeric keypad). Colour
> depth can not be changed on the fly, as far as I know, the best way to
> change that is to edit your XF86Config, which is in the /etc directory
> under slackware. Find the Screen section, and change the number on the line
> "DefaultColorDepth" to the number of bpp you desire.

Cool, thanks. I was quickly running out of space on 640x480. Very cool.

Quote:

> --
> - Thandor, of Donuts Inc:
> Through emulation of Homer Simpson we shall attain perfection.

Hahahahaha! I love it! Where can I sign up? Also, have you read a (non) book
called the Principia Discordia? I mean, you do use Slackware, I figured you
might. If not, look on my web page.

Quote:

> Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

Also a very cool quote. Mind if I incude it in my tag line? I would like to
tell as many people as possible about Linux.

--
TTFN
When I get to the bottom I go back to the top
of the slide where I stop and I turn and I go
for a ride, then I get to the bottom and I see
you again!  Helter Skelter!
                        -John Lennon
Check out my new and improved (well, some time in the next
couple of days improved, anyway) website, no longer on the
ad ridden Geocities, at
http://www2.trav.org/starquest/

I am having trouble setting up KDE, and any help would be most appreciated

Post by Thand » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Ok, I still am a little curiouse. What other things should I put into the file?
>I mean, are there any other configuration options that are on by default, that
>inculding this file would turn off? Also, should I use the full path of KDE? I
>don't have /opt/kde/bin in my path, I figure if I did have it, then I would not
>need it, so how do I add it?

There is a lot of stuff you can put into your .xinitrc file. You could try
reading the man pages (start with man X, it lists a whole heap of other
pages at the bottom under SEE ALSO). Also check in /usr/doc, some of the
HOWTOs there cover x configuration. Having said all that though, you can
manage to get by with nothing more than a line to start your window manager
if you like.

As for kde, you only need the full path if the KDE bin directory is not
already in your path. To add the KDE bin dir to your path (and I recommend
you do so), add the line to either /etc/profile (if you want it to affect
all users), or ~/.bash_profile :

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin

Quote:

>> --
>> - Thandor, of Donuts Inc:
>> Through emulation of Homer Simpson we shall attain perfection.

>Hahahahaha! I love it! Where can I sign up? Also, have you read a (non) book
>called the Principia Discordia? I mean, you do use Slackware, I figured you
>might. If not, look on my web page.

Alas, you can't sign up. I've been meaning to make some sort of web page
for homer advocacy, but other things keep on taking higher priority (or
just distract me).

Quote:

>> Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

>Also a very cool quote. Mind if I incude it in my tag line? I would like to
>tell as many people as possible about Linux.

Sure, go for it. Consider it GPLed ;)

--
- Thandor, of Donuts Inc:
Through emulation of Homer Simpson we shall attain perfection.

Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

I am having trouble setting up KDE, and any help would be most appreciated

Post by Hunter Thoma » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >Ok, I still am a little curiouse. What other things should I put into the file?
> >I mean, are there any other configuration options that are on by default, that
> >inculding this file would turn off? Also, should I use the full path of KDE? I
> >don't have /opt/kde/bin in my path, I figure if I did have it, then I would not
> >need it, so how do I add it?

> There is a lot of stuff you can put into your .xinitrc file. You could try
> reading the man pages (start with man X, it lists a whole heap of other
> pages at the bottom under SEE ALSO). Also check in /usr/doc, some of the
> HOWTOs there cover x configuration. Having said all that though, you can
> manage to get by with nothing more than a line to start your window manager
> if you like.

> As for kde, you only need the full path if the KDE bin directory is not
> already in your path. To add the KDE bin dir to your path (and I recommend
> you do so), add the line to either /etc/profile (if you want it to affect
> all users), or ~/.bash_profile :

> export PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin

Cool, thanks once again. I didn't think of adding it to the profile (then again, I
didn't really know it, either). But I did type in all the path adding info for KDE
like it said in the faq, and it runs fine now. Also, thanks for the stuff about the
man pages, I would not have thought of that right off. I am sort of a newbie to
Linux, and I am still having snooze95 withdrawls.

Also, I have a new problem. I got KDE up and running, and tried to use pppd, but it
tells me that my modem is busy, and, of cource, it is not. I was wondering if you
knew how to deal with modem configuration, as I figure that is what it is. I have a
V.90 Lectron (read "hole in the wall clone company that can't get a good 56kflex
patch out to save there stinking hides") modem, in case you needed the make, or at
least the type. Anyway, if you could help me with this, I would be thrilled, as I
could stop using snooze95 to read me email, and then restart, and try whatever in
Linux. Anyway, TTFN!

Quote:

Post by Shane Simmon » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> >Ok, I still am a little curiouse. What other things should I put into
the file?
>> >I mean, are there any other configuration options that are on by
default, that
>> >inculding this file would turn off? Also, should I use the full path of
KDE? I
>> >don't have /opt/kde/bin in my path, I figure if I did have it, then I
would not
>> >need it, so how do I add it?

>> There is a lot of stuff you can put into your .xinitrc file. You could
try
>> reading the man pages (start with man X, it lists a whole heap of other
>> pages at the bottom under SEE ALSO). Also check in /usr/doc, some of the
>> HOWTOs there cover x configuration. Having said all that though, you can
>> manage to get by with nothing more than a line to start your window
manager
>> if you like.

>> As for kde, you only need the full path if the KDE bin directory is not
>> already in your path. To add the KDE bin dir to your path (and I
recommend
>> you do so), add the line to either /etc/profile (if you want it to affect
>> all users), or ~/.bash_profile :

>> export PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin

>Cool, thanks once again. I didn't think of adding it to the profile (then
again, I
>didn't really know it, either). But I did type in all the path adding info
for KDE
>like it said in the faq, and it runs fine now. Also, thanks for the stuff
about the
>man pages, I would not have thought of that right off. I am sort of a
newbie to
>Linux, and I am still having snooze95 withdrawls.

Make sure that pppd isn't a symlink or a shell.  This can sometimes cause
problems.  Locate pppd (seem to remember that Slackware has it at
/sbin/pppd) and then "ls -l /sbin/pppd".  If you get something like

pppd   ->  /foo/pppd.dumb

then it's a symlink.

Quote:>Also, I have a new problem. I got KDE up and running, and tried to use
pppd, but it
>tells me that my modem is busy, and, of cource, it is not. I was wondering
if you
>knew how to deal with modem configuration, as I figure that is what it is.
I have a
>V.90 Lectron (read "hole in the wall clone company that can't get a good
56kflex
>patch out to save there stinking hides") modem, in case you needed the
make, or at
>least the type. Anyway, if you could help me with this, I would be
thrilled, as I
>could stop using snooze95 to read me email, and then restart, and try
whatever in
>Linux. Anyway, TTFN!

>> >Also a very cool quote. Mind if I incude it in my tag line? I would like
>> >tell as many people as possible about Linux.

>> Sure, go for it. Consider it GPLed ;)

>> --
>> - Thandor, of Donuts Inc:
>> Through emulation of Homer Simpson we shall attain perfection.

>> Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

>--
>TTFN

>When I get to the bottom I go back to the top
>of the slide where I stop and I turn and I go
>for a ride, then I get to the bottom and I see
>you again!  Helter Skelter!
>                        -John Lennon

> Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

>Check out my new and improved (well, some time in the next
>couple of days improved, anyway) website, no longer on the
>ad ridden Geocities, at
>http://www2.trav.org/starquest/

I am having trouble setting up KDE, and any help would be most appreciated

Post by Hunter Thoma » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Make sure that pppd isn't a symlink or a shell.  This can sometimes cause
> problems.  Locate pppd (seem to remember that Slackware has it at
> /sbin/pppd) and then "ls -l /sbin/pppd".  If you get something like

> pppd   ->  /foo/pppd.dumb

> then it's a symlink.

Ok, so it is a symlink, so now what do I do?
--
TTFN
When I get to the bottom I go back to the top
of the slide where I stop and I turn and I go
for a ride, then I get to the bottom and I see
you again!  Helter Skelter!
                        -John Lennon
Check out my new and improved (well, some time in the next
couple of days improved, anyway) website, no longer on the
ad ridden Geocities, at
http://www2.trav.org/starquest/

I am having trouble setting up KDE, and any help would be most appreciated

Post by Aduanne Carte » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

all that is setup in ~/.xinitrc. switching vid modes is <ctrl><alt><+> and
<ctrl><alt><->
make sure ~/.xinitrc is executable ie chmod 777 ~/.xinitrc

>The sitch is that I have recently installed Slackware, the newest
>version, with all the suggested packs. Now, when I start startx
>(XFree86), I get the default windows manager. How do I change this? I
>can't seem to find any of the config files mentioned in any of the docs
>for X windows or kde, so any help would be MOST appreciated. I am
>totally stumped.

>Also, how do you switch vid modes in XF86?
>--

1. I am having troubles setting up ppp for redhat2.1

I just installed Redhat 2.1 on my machine at home.  I am new at linux
and can not figure out how to setup ppp.  From the documentation, I
could find it says I need to have some scripts that work with pppd.
Does anyone have any that work and mind telling me how to do it.  The
install book that came with was really sketchy.  Thanks for your help.

Tom

--
************************
Tom Freestone

Systems Admin
IT Services
Brigham Young University
************************

2. CR/LF

3. I am having trouble with tcpip

4. DMA and devices (IDE)

5. I am having trouble rebuilding xchat

6. linking problem with ld

7. I am having troubles installing StarOffice 5.2 from the RedHat 7.2 distribution

8. RedHat 5.0 Install "mount failed" Error.

9. Nicer [FIX] Re: Hi, am having trouble with cpio-2.4.2 on S.u.S.E. 6.0

10. Hi, am having trouble with cpio-2.4.2 on S.u.S.E. 6.0

11. Hi I am having trouble with X

12. Am I the only one having trouble with Netscape???

13. Am I the only one having troubles with apache beta 7?