Redhat 4.2/5.0 install troubles

Post by Kooc » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

I am a linux newbie. I have been trying to install a dual boot linux/win95
i did this on my other machine  w/no prob. But everytime I get to the point
after i select the packages i want to install i get and error "mount
failed:invalid argument".
I have a pentium ][ 266
64megs o ram
1 2.5gig hd
1 5.1gig hd both Western Digitals
a Creative labs CD-Rom and Sound card
AGP Vid card 4mb
Cano WHup ass pure 3d
NIC etc....

Pleease Help!
Thxs in advance..
Grant Austin

Redhat 4.2/5.0 install troubles

Post by Stev » Tue, 05 May 1998 04:00:00

just a guess but are u'r drives formated with win95 fat32?  I know some
versions of linux can't read fat32 without a patch update.

Quote:> I am a linux newbie. I have been trying to install a dual boot

Post by Kooc » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

I am a linux newbie. I have been trying to install a dual boot linux/win95
i did this on my other machine  w/no prob. But everytime I get to the point
after i select the packages i want to install i get and error "mount
failed:invalid argument".
I have a pentium ][ 266
64megs o ram
1 2.5gig hd
1 5.1gig hd both Western Digitals
a Creative labs CD-Rom and Sound card
AGP Vid card 4mb
Cano WHup ass pure 3d
NIC etc....

Pleease Help!
Thxs in advance..
Grant Austin
email back please!

Redhat 4.2/5.0 install troubles

Post by Robert Guthal » Fri, 08 May 1998 04:00:00

I assume that you are installing to Linux partition (type 83). Make sure you
are formatting
all of the selected linux partitions, I saw this error and found that I had
missed getting one
of the partitions formatted, after it was formatted, no more problem. Hope
this helps, if not,
try including your drive/partition layout with your post.
-rgx.

> I am a linux newbie. I have been trying to install a dual boot linux/win95
> i did this on my other machine  w/no prob. But everytime I get to the point
> after i select the packages i want to install i get and error "mount
> failed:invalid argument".
> I have a pentium ][ 266
> 64megs o ram
> 1 2.5gig hd
> 1 5.1gig hd both Western Digitals
> a Creative labs CD-Rom and Sound card
> AGP Vid card 4mb
> Cano WHup ass pure 3d
> NIC etc....

> Pleease Help!
> Thxs in advance..
> Grant Austin

Redhat 4.2/5.0 install troubles

Post by tdt.. » Sat, 23 May 1998 04:00:00

I had that same problem also... I think rebooting after I set my unix
partitions fixed that problem.  It gave me a message one time after
changing my partitions to reboot to save changes (or something like
that).  I'm having another problem now.  When it starts loading the
OS, it gives me RPM file loading errors (file not found...unpacking of
archive failed...).  Can't figure it out.  I'm gonna check redhat's
webpage for any info...

Tdtama

Quote:>I am a linux newbie. I have been trying to install a dual boot linux/win95
>i did this on my other machine  w/no prob. But everytime I get to the point
>after i select the packages i want to install i get and error "mount
>failed:invalid argument".
>I have a pentium ][ 266
>64megs o ram
>1 2.5gig hd
>1 5.1gig hd both Western Digitals
>a Creative labs CD-Rom and Sound card
>AGP Vid card 4mb
>Cano WHup ass pure 3d
>NIC etc....

>Pleease Help!
>Thxs in advance..
>Grant Austin
>email back please!

1. How to install rpms from Redhat 5.0 on 4.2

I want to install some new modules that come with the Redhat 5 build
on 4.2 but have had no success.  When I use glint it just bombs out.
Do I need to upgrade my rpm version so that I can use the new RPMS.
If so is there a way to do this.  I dont want to install Redhat 5.0
because some other software I have does not run properly in Redhat
5.0.  Would appreciate any help anyone could give.

2. Hardware: Do I need more video ram?

3. execv

4. RedHat 4.2 install trouble

5. SSL Servers with High Availability

6. Redhat 4.2 Install Trouble

7. Upgrade of Hardware and software

8. Linux(Redhat 5.0, Redhat 4.2, Slackware) failing to recognize hard drive.

9. How to install POP3 server after installed Redhat 4.2

10. RedHAt 5.0 doesn't play cd music, but RH 4.2 will

11. Upgrade problem: RedHat 4.2 -> 5.0