MOUSE: PS/2 type on Gateway 2000

Post by Andy Dustma » Sun, 04 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hardware: Gateway 2000 P5-75

Software: Slackware 2.3.0, Linux 1.2.8, PS/2 mouse driver

Problem: Whenever gpm tries to start, I get the message:

gpm: /dev/mouse: No such device

/dev/mouse is sym-linked to psaux (10,1). Yes, the mouse is plugged into
the port, and it worked fine under Wind-doze. I have recompiled the
kernel to include only the PS/2 mouse driver, and also with the 82C710
support. I have also previously tried Microsoft bus mouse and I think I
tried LogiTech, but the docs for the computer say it is a PS/2 "style"
mouse connector, and I have seen several other references -- the Busmouse
HOWTO and a couple of posts -- which say this is the right configuration.
I'm including the .config file at the end of this post.

It's late, I'm tired, so if I did something stoopid, just remember, it
could happen to you...

Andy Dustman / Computational Center for Molecular Structure and Design / UGA

            Everything seems like a dream... and life's a scream.
This sig grants the reader a license to adopt my preceding personal opinions.

#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
#

#
# General setup
#
# CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
CONFIG_ST506=y

#
# Please see drivers/block/README.ide for help/info on IDE drives
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_XD is not set
CONFIG_NET=y
# CONFIG_MAX_16M is not set
CONFIG_PCI=y
# CONFIG_PCI_OPTIMIZE is not set
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_M486=y

#
# Loadable module support
#
# CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_INET=y
# CONFIG_IP_FORWARD is not set
# CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
# CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ACCT is not set

#
# (it is safe to leave these untouched)
#
# CONFIG_INET_PCTCP is not set
# CONFIG_INET_RARP is not set
CONFIG_INET_SNARL=y
# CONFIG_TCP_NAGLE_OFF is not set
# CONFIG_IPX is not set

#
# SCSI support
#
# CONFIG_SCSI is not set

#
# Skipping SCSI configuration options...
#

#
# Network device support
#
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=y
CONFIG_SLIP=y
CONFIG_SLIP_COMPRESSED=y
# SL_SLIP_LOTS is not set
CONFIG_PPP=y
# CONFIG_PLIP is not set
CONFIG_NET_ALPHA=y
# CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_SMC is not set
# CONFIG_LANCE is not set
# CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM is not set
# CONFIG_NET_ISA is not set
CONFIG_NET_EISA=y
# CONFIG_AC3200 is not set
# CONFIG_APRICOT is not set
CONFIG_DE4X5=y
# CONFIG_ZNET is not set
# CONFIG_NET_POCKET is not set

#
# CD-ROM drivers (not for SCSI or IDE/ATAPI drives)
#
# CONFIG_CDU31A is not set
# CONFIG_MCD is not set
# CONFIG_SBPCD is not set
# CONFIG_AZTCD is not set
# CONFIG_CDU535 is not set

#
# Filesystems
#
CONFIG_MINIX_FS=y
# CONFIG_EXT_FS is not set
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
# CONFIG_XIA_FS is not set
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
# CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS is not set
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
# CONFIG_HPFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_SYSV_FS is not set

#
# character devices
#
# CONFIG_CYCLADES is not set
CONFIG_PRINTER=y
# CONFIG_BUSMOUSE is not set
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_82C710_MOUSE=y
# CONFIG_MS_BUSMOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_ATIXL_BUSMOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_QIC02_TAPE is not set
# CONFIG_FTAPE is not set

#
# Sound
#
# CONFIG_SOUND is not set

#
# Kernel hacking
#
# CONFIG_PROFILE is not set

Post by Andy Dustma » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> Hardware: Gateway 2000 P5-75

> Software: Slackware 2.3.0, Linux 1.2.8, PS/2 mouse driver

> Problem: Whenever gpm tries to start, I get the message:

> gpm: /dev/mouse: No such device

> /dev/mouse is sym-linked to psaux (10,1). Yes, the mouse is plugged into
> the port, and it worked fine under Wind-doze. I have recompiled the
> kernel to include only the PS/2 mouse driver, and also with the 82C710
> support.

Solution: When I recompiled, I took a short-cut and skipped the "make
clean" so it wouldn't take so long. This morning, I reconfigured, did
"make dep; make clean; make zImage; make zlilo", rebooted, and it worked.
I'm writing this in an x-window...

Take-home lesson: If you didn't "make clean" and it didn't work, then
"make clean" and try it again.

Post by Simon Col » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

> Hardware: Gateway 2000 P5-75

> Software: Slackware 2.3.0, Linux 1.2.8, PS/2 mouse driver

> Problem: Whenever gpm tries to start, I get the message:

> gpm: /dev/mouse: No such device

> /dev/mouse is sym-linked to psaux (10,1). Yes, the mouse is plugged into
> the port, and it worked fine under Wind-doze. I have recompiled the
> kernel to include only the PS/2 mouse driver, and also with the 82C710
> support. I have also previously tried Microsoft bus mouse and I think I
> tried LogiTech, but the docs for the computer say it is a PS/2 "style"
> mouse connector, and I have seen several other references -- the Busmouse
> HOWTO and a couple of posts -- which say this is the right configuration.
> I'm including the .config file at the end of this post.

Hi,

(from memory, the machine is at home) I found with my Linux-FT setup that
I needed to sym-link /dev/mouse to /dev/ps2aux, not psaux. Works fine now.

Simon

New Product Introduction Group   |  MS Mail ID:
Motorola RNSG                    |   Coles-CSC016 Simon
Basingstoke, UK                  |  Phone: +44 (1256) 484105

1. Mouse X & Y Directions Reversed Gateway-2000 PS/2 type

Mouse problems: Mouse X & Y Directions Reversed Gateway-2000 PS/2. Any
ideas on why directions are reversed and motion sensitivity appears
greatly amplified?

Linux Program test-mouse shows:
      X mouse moves Y on screen
      Y mouse moves X on screen.
     Buttons appear inoperative.

Mouse works normally under MS Windows95.

I am insmoding psaux to drive mouse. Kernel 2..0.27
downloaded from
ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/linux/slackware-3.1/slakware
-------------------------------------
Jerome (Jerry) H. Whelan, EE, Code 854, Electromagnetic Fields Branch
Building 7 Room 133A,  Carderock Division, Naval Surface Warfare Center
9500 MacArthur Boulevard, West Bethesda, Md.  ZIP 20817-5700

2. patch to ide-tape once again

3. Microsoft PS/2 bus mouse on Gateway 2000

4. Knode && ROT

5. Gateway 2000 with PS/2 mouse crashes X !

6. Script on /var/adm/messages

7. PS/2 mouse - Gateway 2000 - no go with Metro-X

8. libjpeg.so.6 and hylafax

9. Gateway 2000 P5-90 system: Mouse problems--which type-HELP!!!!!

10. Metro-X, PS/2, Mouse problems, Gateway 2000

11. What kind of mouse is Microsoft mouse on Gateway-2000 ?

12. MOUSE - BUSMICE - Gateway 2000 mouse wont work

13. Help Getting Gateway 2000 Mouse port mouse working w/ X