updatedb on boot up (RH 7.1)

Post by Zhihui Zhan » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 01:38:58

What does updatedb do? Whenever I boot Redhat 7.1 on my laptop, it runs
for a while.  If it is not of much use, I want to disable it in some
script I guess.  Thanks.

-Zhihui

updatedb on boot up (RH 7.1)

Post by Swif » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 02:38:01

>  What does updatedb do? Whenever I boot Redhat 7.1 on my laptop, it runs
>  for a while.  If it is not of much use, I want to disable it in some
>  script I guess.  Thanks.

It creates a database filled with all paths to all files.

You can "use" it with locate. F.i.
        ~$ locate foo
will give you all the files with foo in them on your system, using that
database. Therefor you won't have to wait very long (cfr find / -iname
'*foo*').

--
 SwifT                     -    Key-ID CDBA2FDB
 LUG: http://www.lugwv.be  -    http://www.keyserver.net

1. Problem booting RH 7.1 using NT boot loader

Hi.

I've just installed RH 7.1 on my Dell Inspiron 8000, and is trying to use
the NT boot loader to boot it up.
I've followed instructions given my many people on the Internet, and used
the bootpart program to update the Win2k system already installed on my
computer.

I can boot the Linux system without any problem using the boot floppy
created under the installation.
It seems, however, that it is impossible to boot using the NT bootloader.
"Unable to boot partition" is the message I get.
I even tried to copy the floppy disc manually, but without any luck.

The Win2k partition resides on /dev/hda1, and the Linux partition on
/dev/hda8. The drive is 46GB, and the Linux partition is about 10GB.
I'm using NTFS on the Win2k partition.

Anyone who have an idea on what the problem might be?

Thanx in advance!

Nils Magne Lunde

2. 2 NIC's and Strange Problem

3. Newbie- RH 7.1 won't boot

4. NFS & Exports

5. Boot on first power up for RH 7.1

6. TCP/IP interface to a PCI board?

7. RH 7.1 X problem: boot is OK, but Xwin craps out

8. tar extraction from hard disk

9. Problem loading modules for Tekram DC-390U2W on boot in RH 7.1

10. Boot problem RH 7.1

11. compiling a RH 7.1 kernel - hangs on boot

12. Dual Win2K/RH 7.1 Linux booting problems

13. Problem booting RH 7.1 install