Squid cache size?

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 01:04:30

Hi

I am going to setup a squid caching web proxy for around 200 users on a
well used 2mbit line. How much caching area will be needed?

Is 3Gb enough or should I go for a 45Gb disk?

The server will be acting as a filtering firewall too.

TIA
Rasmus

Squid cache size?

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 06:14:15

> Hi

> I am going to setup a squid caching web proxy for around 200 users on a
> well used 2mbit line. How much caching area will be needed?

> Is 3Gb enough or should I go for a 45Gb disk?

> The server will be acting as a filtering firewall too.

> TIA
> Rasmus

Hello,

from my expirience, squid performance depends on the RAM settings in
squid.conf, the defaults are very low ~8 MB, if I remember right, just
be aware, that squid uses 3 x the memory you set in squid.conf (cache_mem).
But if you have enough, why not let squid use it.

If the 45 GB disc is not that slow, compared with the 3 GB, I would go for
the big one, just remember to check the cache size, from time to time, or
even better, write a small script that mails you the cache usage, periodicaly.

http://www.squid-cache.org/
Has a well written FAQ, if you didn't saw it.

Good luck

Michael Heiming

Squid cache size?

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 07:34:40

Thanks for the fast answer.

> from my expirience, squid performance depends on the RAM settings in
> squid.conf, the defaults are very low ~8 MB, if I remember right, just
> be aware, that squid uses 3 x the memory you set in squid.conf (cache_mem).
> But if you have enough, why not let squid use it.

Eh, actually it has got no RAM, that's why I ask. I could go for 128Mb
RAM and a 45 Gb disk or just 256Mb RAM. Perhaps I could find money for
more, but I do not really think so... The box is not going to do
anything else than proxying (well, also network filtering, but that
should not take up huge amounts of memory).

Quote:> If the 45 GB disc is not that slow, compared with the 3 GB, I would go for
> the big one, just remember to check the cache size, from time to time, or
> even better, write a small script that mails you the cache usage, periodicaly.

Actually I believe the 45Gb disk to be faster than the 3Gb one (I do not
know the speeds of the 3Gb one). Yeah, I know the usage of IDE disks is
discouraged, but there is not money for scsi...

Quote:> http://www.squid-cache.org/
> Has a well written FAQ, if you didn't saw it.

Thanks for the link. I'm still a little puzzled whether to choose the
45Gb+128Mb or the 3Gb+256Mb. I think it will be the 3Gb+256Mb - any
opinions?

Rasmus

Squid cache size?

Post by Michael Heimin » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 16:01:57

> Thanks for the fast answer.

> > from my expirience, squid performance depends on the RAM settings in
> > squid.conf, the defaults are very low ~8 MB, if I remember right, just
> > be aware, that squid uses 3 x the memory you set in squid.conf (cache_mem).
> > But if you have enough, why not let squid use it.

> Eh, actually it has got no RAM, that's why I ask. I could go for 128Mb
> RAM and a 45 Gb disk or just 256Mb RAM. Perhaps I could find money for
> more, but I do not really think so... The box is not going to do
> anything else than proxying (well, also network filtering, but that
> should not take up huge amounts of memory).

> > If the 45 GB disc is not that slow, compared with the 3 GB, I would go for
> > the big one, just remember to check the cache size, from time to time, or
> > even better, write a small script that mails you the cache usage, periodicaly.

> Actually I believe the 45Gb disk to be faster than the 3Gb one (I do not
> know the speeds of the 3Gb one)

Check with hdparm -t /dev/your_disc.

Quote:>. Yeah, I know the usage of IDE disks is
> discouraged, but there is not money for scsi...

> > http://www.squid-cache.org/
> > Has a well written FAQ, if you didn't saw it.

> Thanks for the link. I'm still a little puzzled whether to choose the
> 45Gb+128Mb or the 3Gb+256Mb. I think it will be the 3Gb+256Mb - any
> opinions?

Huh, hard to tell, you have to clean up the cache more often if you cache disc
is not that big, I'm a bit curious, as you wrote that you set it up for ~200 users
and your company has no money for RAM and disc, which is both rather cheap.

I would go with the RAM and change chache_mem as I wrote, this will perhaps speed
squid more up than the bigger disc only. But I didn't tried this, cause RAM and disc
needed were never a question were I setup things like this.

Michael Heiming

Quote: