HELP: 'LCP: timeout' during ppp connection

HELP: 'LCP: timeout' during ppp connection

Post by Akin Usl » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi folks;

I'm having problmes while making a PPP connection. Here is the output of
/var/log/messages

Connect: ppp0 <---> /dev/modem
LCP: timeout sending config-requests
connection terminated

General info about my system
redhat 4.2
28.8 us robotics sportster modem
166 mHz pentium with mmx running at 180 mHz
scripts run through OK (but quite slow comparing to windows 95)
modem works fine for PPP with win95 installed on the same machine

I added 'LCP-MAX-Configure 60' to ppp options field. but that didn't
help. While trying to check my script by using minicom, I also noticed
that the comminucation between MY computer and MY modem was extremly
slow!?

It takes close to 10 seconds even just to send the initialization
string.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Akin Uslu

HELP: 'LCP: timeout' during ppp connection

Post by Akin Usl » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hi folks;

I'm having problems while making a PPP connection. Here is the output of
/var/log/messages

Connect: ppp0 <---> /dev/modem
LCP: timeout sending config-requests
connection terminated

General info about my system
redhat 4.2
28.8 us robotics sportster modem
166 mHz pentium with mmx running at 180 mHz
scripts run through OK (but quite slow comparing to windows 95)
modem works fine for PPP with win95 installed on the same machine

I added 'LCP-MAX-Configure 60' to ppp options field. but that didn't
help. While trying to check my script by using minicom, I also noticed
that the communication between MY computer and MY modem was extremely

Post by Thomas Ors » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hi folks;

> I'm having problems while making a PPP connection. Here is the output of
> /var/log/messages

> Connect: ppp0 <---> /dev/modem
> LCP: timeout sending config-requests
> connection terminated

> General info about my system
> redhat 4.2
> 28.8 us robotics sportster modem
> 166 mHz pentium with mmx running at 180 mHz
> scripts run through OK (but quite slow comparing to windows 95)
> modem works fine for PPP with win95 installed on the same machine

> I added 'LCP-MAX-Configure 60' to ppp options field. but that didn't
> help. While trying to check my script by using minicom, I also noticed
> that the communication between MY computer and MY modem was extremely
> slow!?

> It takes close to 10 seconds even just to send the initialization
> string.

> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> Akin Uslu

  Have you noticed that if you try *many * attempts at dialing after a
while on dial finally
connects ok? i f so this is the same problem I have but I haven't addressed
it yet. Could you
let me know what the problem was? when you solve it? and if you dot solve
it send me
email so I can send you the resolution when I figure it out. I believe
looking at PPP options
is the right start.

 -Tom-

HELP: 'LCP: timeout' during ppp connection

Post by Olaf Walkowia » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

to help you I think we will need some more inforamtion:

Your "Chat" script
Command line for pppd (You don't run it in debug mode, do you?)

In debug mode, you should get something like that in your message.log

Sep  2 23:16:15 i486 kernel: PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995
Caldera, Inc.
Sep  2 23:16:15 i486 kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
Sep  2 23:16:15 i486 kernel: registered device ppp0
Sep  2 23:16:15 i486 pppd[1507]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Sep  2 23:16:16 i486 chat[1510]: timeout set to 30 seconds
Sep  2 23:16:16 i486 chat[1510]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
Sep  2 23:16:16 i486 chat[1510]: abort on (BUSY)
Sep  2 23:16:16 i486 chat[1510]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
Sep  2 23:16:16 i486 chat[1510]: abort on (ERROR)
Sep  2 23:16:16 i486 chat[1510]: send (+++ATZ^M)
Sep  2 23:16:16 i486 chat[1510]: expect (OK)
Sep  2 23:16:17 i486 chat[1510]: +++ATZ^M^M
Sep  2 23:16:17 i486 chat[1510]: OK -- got it

And do on....

Hope that helps a little

Olaf

> > Hi folks;

> > I'm having problems while making a PPP connection. Here is the output of
> > /var/log/messages

> > Connect: ppp0 <---> /dev/modem
> > LCP: timeout sending config-requests
> > connection terminated

> > General info about my system
> > redhat 4.2
> > 28.8 us robotics sportster modem
> > 166 mHz pentium with mmx running at 180 mHz
> > scripts run through OK (but quite slow comparing to windows 95)
> > modem works fine for PPP with win95 installed on the same machine

> > I added 'LCP-MAX-Configure 60' to ppp options field. but that didn't
> > help. While trying to check my script by using minicom, I also noticed
> > that the communication between MY computer and MY modem was extremely
> > slow!?

> > It takes close to 10 seconds even just to send the initialization
> > string.

> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.

> > Akin Uslu

>   Have you noticed that if you try *many * attempts at dialing after a
> while on dial finally
> connects ok? i f so this is the same problem I have but I haven't addressed
> it yet. Could you
> let me know what the problem was? when you solve it? and if you dot solve
> it send me
> email so I can send you the resolution when I figure it out. I believe
> looking at PPP options
> is the right start.

>  -Tom-

ACMEDIA Internet Service, http://www.acmedia.de
Olaf Walkowiak, Sdseestr. 14, 45357 Essen

60 40 54 C0 5E B9 3D 9E  50 18 B0 E5 37 65 A3 7C

Post by David Buba » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> Hi folks;

I had the very same problem until . . .

I found out that Linux thought my modem was on IRQ 4
not IRQ 3.

Try:

 setserial irq # spd_vhi

where # is the irq of your modem.

of certain devices. Esp. modems.

--
The Universe is contingent upon the existence of a
benevolent, immutable, universally non-contingent being

[...]

Post by Akin Usl » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Thanks folks,  you were right the problem was IRQ
setserial fixed the problem