Grid spacing in xfig

Post by Donald L. Dietmey » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I like xfig very much, but have not attempted to do "mechanical drawings"
until last night.  Electronics often have 0.1 inch pin spacing, or a
fraction of that dimension.  Can xfig by made to provide a 0.1 inch
grid spacing?  It certainly would ease drawing circles for holes for
DIPs, and labeling them.
   Don

Grid spacing in xfig

Post by Peter Rig » Sat, 19 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I like xfig very much, but have not attempted to do "mechanical drawings"
> until last night.  Electronics often have 0.1 inch pin spacing, or a
> fraction of that dimension.  Can xfig by made to provide a 0.1 inch
> grid spacing?  It certainly would ease drawing circles for holes for
> DIPs, and labeling them.
>    Don

It will probably require some hacking and recompiling to make xfig work
in 0.1 inch instead of 1/16 inch steps.
If you are doing PCB designs, as your post implies, may I suggest that
you have a look at the pcb programme by Thomas Nau of rz.uni-ulm.de.
An archie search for pcb-1.4.0.tar.gz should locate a suitable site
to get a copy from.
Whilst not answering your question, this may solve your problem.

Regards,
peter.

Grid spacing in xfig

Post by Robert Bernec » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I finally got my PnP sound card to work (sort of -- microphone
still seems dead, although it's fine under NT). This may be
of help to others.

a. PnP kills things at boot time, and I was a bit afraid to
   tinker with the creature from initrd to make isapnp run at
   boot time.

b. So, I generated the kernel with sound stuff as modules, and
   then generated the following script:

   rmmod sound
   isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
   insmod sound

The first line removes the nonfunctioning sound module;
the second configures the sound card for pnp;
the third line reinstalls the sound module.
Presto -- sounds works now.
Bob

Grid spacing in xfig

Post by Robert Bernec » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I'm seeking advice on how to install XFree3.3 without trashing
my fvwm95 window manager. The install forces my system to use
some other manager (twm?) and I was unable to figure out where
the configuration stuff lives so I could change it back.

Suggestions on how to do the update without touching the
window manager, etc are welcome.

I think I've said this before, but having subsystems print
out the fully qualified path and filename of the configuration
module they are using would help novices a LOT here.
I have frequently made changes to several modules before finding
the one that is actually in use, or giving up in frustration...

Thanks. Bob

Grid spacing in xfig

Post by Norbert Hach » Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> I finally got my PnP sound card to work (sort of -- microphone
> still seems dead, although it's fine under NT). This may be
> of help to others.

> a. PnP kills things at boot time, and I was a bit afraid to
>    tinker with the creature from initrd to make isapnp run at
>    boot time.

> b. So, I generated the kernel with sound stuff as modules, and
>    then generated the following script:

>    rmmod sound
>    isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
>    insmod sound

> The first line removes the nonfunctioning sound module;
> the second configures the sound card for pnp;
> the third line reinstalls the sound module.
> Presto -- sounds works now.
> Bob

Hi Bob,

For your mic, do you have a mixer program ? You normally need one to
raise the volume because the driver defaults the volume to a value too
low. I had the same problem and when I ran a mixer program was able to
bring up the volume to a workable level.

1. grid spacing

i have verson 1.1.2.

does anyone know how to make the icons on the desktop have gridless
spacing? i went somewhere in the control panel and made the vertical and
horizontal spacing to 0, yet every time move my icons, it snaps to a
certain set position (either above, left, right, below a little).

and, is it safe to use the init 0 command in the kde enviornment. not
sure if it's the right place to ask, but i thought i'd give it a shot.

thanks in advance.

2. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 1/2

3. going from xfig-3.1 to xfig-3.2

4. YDL Installer won't see internal Mac scsi drive to install onto...

5. Grid like widget for GTK or KDE

6. Xsco mouse configuration

7. Grid Computing Expert Exchange 2003-12-02

8. Changing the "name" of process

9. IBM to use Linux to build the "Grid"

10. Grid engine parameters

11. Wire-grid windows in S10 ?

12. Millions of gamers using Linux grid computing!

13. the GRID