Cannot telnet into linux box (From WFWG to Linux Box)

Cannot telnet into linux box (From WFWG to Linux Box)

Post by Thanassi Michailid » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

 Hi. I am new to networking and I have a problem. I installed a SMC
network card on my linux which seems to be recognized at boot time. No
Network error messages either. I gave it an IP address of 111.112.113.114
and it seems to be okay. This is just a test setup of two machines.

I want to telnet from Windows for WorkGroups into the Linux machine, but
I get connection failed. When I type netstat, I get the following:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address       Foreign Address         (State)
User
tcp        0      1 mark.budman:telnet  111.111.111.1:1025       SYN_RECV
root
.
.
.
Active UNIX domain sockets
Proto RefCnt Flags      Type            State           Path
unix  1      [ ACC ]    SOCK_STREAM     LISTENING       /var/run/gpmctl
unix  1      [ ACC ]    SOCK_STREAM     LISTENING       /dev/printer
unix  2      [ ]        SOCK_STREAM     CONNECTED       /dev/log
unix  2      [ ]        SOCK_STREAM     CONNECTED
unix  1      [ ACC ]    SOCK_STREAM     LISTENING       /dev/log

It seems to be detecting that I am trying to log in but it always fails.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

1. Problem finding Linux box from WFWG 3.11 box

Greetings.

I have been trying to network a Linux box and a WFWG 3.11 box via TCP/IP.
I am currently trying to use the 32-bit TCP/IP drivers for WFWG version
3.11a(version of drivers, not WFWG). I have edited the HOSTNAME and hosts
files in my Linux box's /etc directory and have defined the Linux IP address
in the TCP/IP configuration dialog box in WFWG. I then tried to telnet and
FTP into the Linux box from WFWG and would wait about 3 minutes before I
get a "Connection Failed" error message. Can anyone point me to a step-by-step
procedure on what else I might be missing. I have the Linux Network Administrator's
Guide and have tried to follow that as much as possible. I would appreciate any
suggestions. Thank you.

P.S. I have Linux kernel 1.1.59

2. EHLO suppression in sendmail 8.9.3

3. Cannot telnet to SuSE 7.1 box from a windoze box..

4. Solaris 10_72 self destructing

5. Cannot access Linux box from Win98 box

6. TCP-Prpoblem between HPUX10.0.0 and Solaris 2.3

7. Can Ping Windows Box, But Windows Box Can't Ping Linux Box

8. MS has Linux squarely in it's Gun-sights

9. How to connect a linux box with a win95 box or OS/2 box?

10. secure telnet from dos box to linux box

11. Cannot telnet into my Linux box from net

12. Cannot telnet from Windows 95 to Linux box

13. Cannot log into linux box via TELNET.