LILO in my Master Boot Record? HELP

Post by Toasty the slightly aggitated mama » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have a Win95 (Arggg) machine and a butload of stuff on my C: drive
I installed slackware using UMSDOS so that I would not have to
reformat. Then, I tried to configure LILO to load Linux at startup. I
accidentaly put LILO in the MBR so that if I take my LILO disk out of
a: my machine will not boot. I need help getting lilo out of my MBR

take out nospam ya nubmskull!

Post by Eric Lefle » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have a Win95 (Arggg) machine and a butload of stuff on my C: drive
> I installed slackware using UMSDOS so that I would not have to
> reformat. Then, I tried to configure LILO to load Linux at startup. I
> accidentaly put LILO in the MBR so that if I take my LILO disk out of
> a: my machine will not boot. I need help getting lilo out of my MBR

> take out nospam ya nubmskull!

Boot a DOS floppy with FDISK on it and run "FDISK /MBR" this will
restore the MBR and remove LILO.

 _____________________________
 * Eric Lefler               *
 * UC Davis CVDLS            *

 -----------------------------

Post by Dwight Schaue » Sat, 06 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have a Win95 (Arggg) machine and a butload of stuff on my C: drive
> I installed slackware using UMSDOS so that I would not have to
> reformat. Then, I tried to configure LILO to load Linux at startup. I
> accidentaly put LILO in the MBR so that if I take my LILO disk out of
> a: my machine will not boot. I need help getting lilo out of my MBR

> take out nospam ya nubmskull!

boot from a win95 emergency startup disk, go to c: and run:
a:\fdisk /mbr

That ought to do the trick

1. Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

I installed Linux in my NT box for experimenting.
I accidently let LILO over wrote my master boot
record. Now I am unbale to boot NT.  This is
what I have (had):
     10 GB IDE drive
        C:\  (2GB)        NT system (NTFS)
        D:\  (5GB)        NT data (NTFS)
        Free space 2.5GB

RedHat 6.1 was installed on the free space.
Since I choosed Workstation install so it
automatically overwrote the MBR. Now I am
left unable to boot back to NT. Could someone
help me to restore MBR so I can boot NT?

I should not install LILO in the MBR but
that was done.  Please help!!

Thanks

Wayne

To response, please send email to

2. Return code of IPC System Calls

3. HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

4. dnotify for 2.2 coming along

5. Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

6. XTANK for Linux?

7. Removing LILO from Master Boot Record

8. Samba and printing limits

9. LILO in Master Boot Record Problem (new?)

10. master boot record -- LILO ATTACK

11. delCMOS.B, master boot record, lilo

12. Removing LILO from the master boot record

13. Installed Lilo to Master Boot Record, now can't install WinNT