Install X window using Yggdrasil

Post by sj7335.. » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 22:22:00

Does anybody knows how to install the X Windows System on to the harddisk using
Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux?

CWP

Install X window using Yggdrasil

Post by Jonas Hagel » Wed, 15 Feb 1995 17:58:44

One way is to just copy all the files needed since there is no
way to do it from control-panel...

Anyway this is how I did it.

If I remember all things right you have to copy the whole directorytree
/system_cd/usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6
The links /usr/X11 and /usr/X386 just links to /system_cd/X11R6
so you could as well set them to link to /usr/X11R6 to make it nicer.

Obs if you do not use the right flags for cp then you will not get the links
that is present in /system_cd/usr/X11R6/
- the way to fix that is just to compare /system_cd/usr/X11R6 with your
/usr/X11R6 and make it look all the same and it should work

I think there was some files in /var/xconfig/ that should be present also
but just compare with how /system_cd look and you will find out

It will take a pretty large amount of your diskspace
( I think about 60-70 Megs) for the X windows system.

752 61 Uppsala         |     Phone: +46 (0)18 46 40 09
Sweden                 |     WWW:   http://www.csd.uu.se/~d93jha/

Post by Bruce Sal » Fri, 17 Feb 1995 07:19:49

>One way is to just copy all the files needed since there is no
>way to do it from control-panel...

>Anyway this is how I did it.

>If I remember all things right you have to copy the whole directorytree
>/system_cd/usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11R6
>The links /usr/X11 and /usr/X386 just links to /system_cd/X11R6
>so you could as well set them to link to /usr/X11R6 to make it nicer.

>Obs if you do not use the right flags for cp then you will not get the links
>that is present in /system_cd/usr/X11R6/
>- the way to fix that is just to compare /system_cd/usr/X11R6 with your
>/usr/X11R6 and make it look all the same and it should work

>I think there was some files in /var/xconfig/ that should be present also
>but just compare with how /system_cd look and you will find out

>It will take a pretty large amount of your diskspace
>( I think about 60-70 Megs) for the X windows system.

        I have noticed that the install script does not necessarily move
things linked to the Yaggdrasil Fall '94 CDROM to the hard disk even if
you have installed the package, e.g. X11R6. I still have to mount the
CDROM to get xinit. There are lots of links in my install to the CDROM.
My question is, should I expect all these links to go away for installed
packages?

        The thing that is suspect about my install is that some of the
files, about 6 mb worth, were moved onto the hard disk partition during
the initial install before I had a chance to set up a swap partition. At
this time I got a couple of 'virtual memory exhausted' messages. I suspect
that the install script just quit and left many links into the CDROM. Is
this true? My system has 4 mb physical mem, and I have subsequently set
up 32 mb swap on the disk.

        I got a couple of I/O errors from the CDROM during the install of
a couple of packages. usrbin was one. It seems to me that the trick is
that the links to the CDROM are left around until the files they point
to on the CDROM are copied to the harddisk.

        If it is possible that files that still have links should be
replaced with files from the CDROM, is there a script which can do this
without having to reinstall everything? I take it as a challenge to
write a script, prehaps a perl script, to chase down links on selected
subtrees and copy the files from the CD to the hard disk. Has anyone
done this? Can I find which subtrees these are and that they have no
links to the CDROM?

Bruce Salem

1. Installing from yggdrasil CD - without X-windows

Heya, I'm trying to install Linux on my box, using the Yggdrasil CD.
Most of it works OK, but annoyingly, it insists on installing X-windows,
and then requires that you run an X prog in order to install more stuff.

I have had enough trouble just getting my monitor to work with X, but the
real prob is that I have only 4MB memory, and the thing is terminally slow.

I don't want X-windows, but I do want gcc and emacs, which are installed
(on this CD) by the X program. Is there any way I can install these things
without having to run X widnows? Is it okay just to copy the stuff directly
onto my HD. If so, where are all the necessary files located?

Also, what files can I omit, if I don't want X on my system?

Thanx in advance,

Malcolm

2. netatalk machine hangs, rest of network ok

3. X-Windows Didn't Install on Yggdrasil

4. Driver SiS900 for K2.12-20

5. Installing X-windows from Yggdrasil

6. help! KDE help protocol died?

7. Can I install the slackware1.1.1 using yggdrasil revB?

8. Making router out of a Linux box

9. Installing solaris using bootparams - from Windows?

10. Installing Linux Mandrake 7.0 Deluxe on used Windows HDD

11. Q:Using CUPS: Can't install network printer on Windows 98

12. Yggdrasil LGX: X window problems

13. Yggdrasil Fall 93- Cannot link X-windows apps.