Xproblem with RH5 and video card

Post by Jason Webe » Thu, 23 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am not having a whole lot of luck getting Linux installed on my
machine. I bought a new 333 with DVD
and it came with this Toshiba MPACT2 video card. I have gone through the
RH installation support
and they told me that it was an unsupported card, good luck. Not a lot
of help. My question is, is there
anything left that I can do besides waiting until they decide to write a
driver for my card?

I was able to get some information when I ran SuperProbe:
Super-VGA
chipset: Yamaha 6388 VPDC
RAMDAC: Generic 8bit pseudo-color DAC

I do not want to continue running windows as I work all day long with
Solaris and can't get a damn
thing done when I get home. If the answer to my question is that I have
to wait, can someone point
me in the direction of how to program my own driver? I do a lot of
internet programming with C and
Perl and could give it a try if it is something less that brain surgery.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

1. SiS 530/5595 Video Card an XProblem!

Hello there!

I recently bought a computer to run linux on it. It's sad to say it but i
did not really take care of the video card (although i knew how important it
is 8( ). Actually my video card is an SiS 530/5595 (built-in chipset). I
went on the SiS server (www.sis.com.tw) where i found a small note for linux
useres. They say that linux drivers are available for the 5597, 5598, 62...
chipset.

So, i would like to know if someone in this newsgroup have experience with
this chipset.

I can run Xwindows but only with 320x200 which is not workable!

Any help is (as always!) welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jari

2. Fastest/Best PCI video boards with 1280x1024 @ > 70Hz?

3. RH5.2 Install hangs probing video card

4. D3 and Red Hat 7.0

5. rh5.2 video card problem

6. Simple rm question

7. STB Video Card Halts RH5.2 Install

8. hard disk problem

9. RH5 and Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro 8m AGP Video Card

10. Programming video card (ATI card w/ s-video & tv-out) Need direction to correct info

11. Setup TV-Card and additional Video-In on Video Card

12. Trident 9680 Video Card vs. Cirrus Login 5430 Video Card

13. video card info - what is the fastest video Card on X?