serial module options for conf.modules

Post by Oo.et.o » Sun, 07 Feb 1999 04:00:00

hello-
        i just posted a similar question last week but couldn't get an answer.
I am using kernel 2.2.1 and most stuff works fine.
        almost everything is a module including ppp and serial.  I can get ppp
and serial ports to work but only after setting the irq manually using
setserial EVERY TIME the module unloads.
        what is the argument for /etc/conf.modules which will set the irq of
/dev/ttyS2 to 5?
where can I get more information like this in the future.  I can't find
anything on it in the linux/Documentation dir.
I use setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 5 everytime I want to connect and it is
getting tiresome.
        if I set this in conf.modules will it remain?
        I used to put this in my rc.serial script.  should I take this out?
                        thank you-
                        eric

1. conf.modules vs. modules.conf & modules.dep??

Just upgraded my RH6.2 box to kernel 2.2.18 (in conjunction with
applying vpn masq patch).  Now I notice that it complains about
conf.modules, so I renamed this to conf.modules.old and made a copy as
modules.conf.  Now it complains that modules.conf is newer than
modules.dep.  And, in any case, it doesn't seem to load my modules
(specifically 3c509.o for ethernet).

My present workaround is just to manually invoke this module (modprobe
3c509) and restart /etc/rc.d/init.d/network (as well as dhcpd and
named), but I know there's gotta be a "Right Way" of doing this.

What's different between 2.2.18 and my old kernel (2.2.14-5.0) in
terms of handling these files?  And, more importantly, how do I
correct this situation?  Many thanks, in advance.

2. Linux in San Diego

3. conf.modules & modules.conf

4. Frontpage 97 vs Hotmetal Pro 4.0

5. Diff b/t conf.modules and modules.conf

6. pidhash-fix-2.5.36-A0

7. editing modules.conf to load sound driver modules

8. Remote Tape Performance

9. Note: conf.modules more recent that /usr/src/linux*/modules.dep message

10. ppp module in conf.modules

11. SCSI module insert using /etc/conf.modules problem

12. Load three modules with /etc/modules.conf?

13. modules.dep is older than modules.conf