Need help with PCMCIA Modem Setup!

Post by Charles Pec » Tue, 03 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I have a US Robitics PCMCIA modem in my notebook. I'm new at Linux but seem
to have installed it correctly. I've got X windows up and running, the
Network configurator have my PPP interface defined, I've configured my modem
to the "COM2: under MS-DOS".
When I to activate it I get:
/usr/sbin/pppd does not exist or is not executable
ifup-ppp for ppp0 exiting
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
Help!

Need help with PCMCIA Modem Setup!

Post by Dirk Gesch » Wed, 04 Mar 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I have a US Robitics PCMCIA modem in my notebook. I'm new at Linux but seem
> to have installed it correctly. I've got X windows up and running, the
> Network configurator have my PPP interface defined, I've configured my modem
> to the "COM2: under MS-DOS".
> When I to activate it I get:
> /usr/sbin/pppd does not exist or is not executable
> ifup-ppp for ppp0 exiting

Are you sure you have installed the ppp package?
What looks /usr/sbin/pppd like?
Is this file there and what are the rights?
Usually only root is allowed to start a ppp session by default.
This is the reason why the daemon is installed in sbin,

Dirk

| Universit"at Gh Kassel    | Tel.  :      0561/804-4581            |
| Fachbereich Physik        | Heinrich-Plett-Stra/3e 40             |
| Theoretische Physik       | 34132 Kassel                          |

1. Need help wit PCMCIA Modem setup!

I have a US Robitics PCMCIA modem in my notebook. I'm new at Linux but seem
to have installed it correctly. I've got X windows up and running, the
Network configurator have my PPP interface defined, I've configured my modem
to the "COM2: under MS-DOS".
When I to activate it I get:
/usr/sbin/pppd does not exist or is not executable
ifup-ppp for ppp0 exiting
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
Help!

2. Help! - Nescape install problem

3. Help w/ 3Com pcmcia modem setup

4. Fs mounted automatically as a normal user?

5. Help : PCMCIA modem setup

6. HELP: Reading past EOT on a SCSI tape.

7. Linksys PCMCIA 28.8 LAN modem setup help

8. Need help creating Node for a backup device...TIA

9. Help! setup modem for 3c905 PCMCIA card.

10. PCMCIA modem setup help

11. panasonic PCMCIA cdrom setup help needed.

12. help needed to bring up a pcmcia modem.

13. In great need of help with PCMCIA modem