UMSDOS - Anyone tried it?

Post by Ia » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've just bought a notebook (processor K6 300M, 4.3G disk) computer &
I am thinking of running Linux Caldera v1.3 using UMSDOS.   That is
with Windows98 FAT32 file system instead of the Linux file system.
It is supposed to work.  Has anyone any experience of this?
Thanks for your help, Ian.

UMSDOS - Anyone tried it?

Post by Rick Moe » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

: I've just bought a notebook (processor K6 300M, 4.3G disk) computer &
: I am thinking of running Linux Caldera v1.3 using UMSDOS.   That is
: with Windows98 FAT32 file system instead of the Linux file system.
: It is supposed to work.  Has anyone any experience of this?

No experience of it, but I recommend against it on general principle.
FAT is slow, and Linux must use perfectly awful kludges to store the
necessary file ownership/permissions data (among other things).

--
Cheers,                   The cynics among us might say:   "We laugh,
Rick Moen                 monkeyboys -- Linux IS the mainstream UNIX now!

UMSDOS - Anyone tried it?

Post by Wildman, the Cuberstalk » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>: I've just bought a notebook (processor K6 300M, 4.3G disk) computer &
>: I am thinking of running Linux Caldera v1.3 using UMSDOS.   That is
>: with Windows98 FAT32 file system instead of the Linux file system.
>: It is supposed to work.  Has anyone any experience of this?

>No experience of it, but I recommend against it on general principle.
>FAT is slow, and Linux must use perfectly awful kludges to store the
>necessary file ownership/permissions data (among other things).

Additionally, UMSDOS will not work with FAT32. VMSDOS - which is even more
alpha - is required.

--
Wildman, the Cuberstalker
Thank you, Microsoft, and please get out of the way.