LILO in Master Boot Record Problem (new?)

Post by Neil Ricke » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>First, just in case, I ran LILO on a floppy.  New kernel booted fine, system
>was beautful.
>OK, now time for floppy-less operation of my newly improved Linux workstation.
> I ran lilo with lilo.conf pointed at the MBR (/dev/hda1), seemed to work.
>But, alas, it did not!  On reboot it get 'boot1>.....'.

'boot1>.....' is not a lilo message.  This is probably coming from
System Commander, or whatever else you previously used for booting.

Incidently, the MBR is addressed with '/dev/hda', not '/dev/hda1'.
So you probably didn't install lilo on the MBR, but still have the
remnants there of your former booting software.

LILO in Master Boot Record Problem (new?)

Post by James Youngma » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

  p> OK, now time for floppy-less operation of my newly improved Linux
  p> workstation.  I ran lilo with lilo.conf pointed at the MBR
  p> (/dev/hda1), seemed to work.

Bingo.  /dev/hda is the whole-disk device that contains the MBR;
/dev/hda1 is the first partition on the disk.

  p> But, alas, it did not!  On reboot it get 'boot1>.....'.

boot1>
    ^
really?

Use that floppy you created earlier, (I assume you installed LILO on
it, right?) and at the boot prompt, just use "linux root=/dev/XXX"
where /dev/XXX is your root partition.

Post by Jim Sokolof » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> This is where the trouble began.  I get 'boot1>.....' when booting the
> machine, and was unable to do anything from this prompt.

> Luckily, I made a copy of lilo on a floppy just in case, which allowed me
> access back to my system.

> I figured I would do a complete re-install of RH5.0.

When something goes wrong with a Linux machine, don't rush right out
and re-install everything. I know that's what other major OS vendors
have trained you to do, but it's not the problem; linux doesn't rot on
the hard drive like some other OSs apparently do.

You're wasting time, and depriving yourself of a chance to learn what
the hell went wrong so you can avoid it next time. Re-installing, with
the same set of options will likely yield the same failure, getting
you more ired and less able to calmly rationally debug the problem.

If you didn't get a LILO: prompt, you aren't booting lilo, and should
re-point lilo to the correct place on the disk and re-run lilo to
update the disk.

For a Linux only system, I don't see *any* reason not to use the MBR
of the disk (/dev/hda) rather than the root sector of a partition
(/dev/hda1)

(For that matter, a dual boot Win95/Linux should also use the MBR IME...)

---Jim