grahical login program tanks, system won't start, help!

grahical login program tanks, system won't start, help!

Post by Matt O'Tool » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I installed Mandrake 6.0, with the kdm graphical login / desktop selector
option.  Well, I was innocently changing some other display options in KDE,
the bugs started to swarm, and poof...  now I can't get into my computer.  I
can't log in at the login prompt as this stupid kdm thing has taken over.  X
tries to start, then fails, then kdm tries to restart it, then it fails, it
tries to start again, and again, and again, the monitor switching off, then
on, then off, then onandoffandonand...  ahhh!...  ahhh!  X doesn't respond
to cntrl-alt-bkspce, and even if it did, kdm would just keep trying to
restart anyway.

So...

How do I get into my computer, to make things right again?  BTW, the boot
disk I made during the installation won't run the computer... it seems it's
just designed to start it.  So, might I need to put something else on there
to do this operation?  (I can rawrite it on via Windows, I guess.)

This latest version of KDE seems chock full of bugs.  I never had any
problems with it before, but this time it really sucks...

Matt O.

Post by lvegas00 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I installed Mandrake 6.0, with the kdm graphical login / desktop selector
> option.  Well, I was innocently changing some other display options in KDE,
> the bugs started to swarm, and poof...  now I can't get into my computer.  I
> can't log in at the login prompt as this stupid kdm thing has taken over.  X
> tries to start, then fails, then kdm tries to restart it, then it fails, it
> tries to start again, and again, and again, the monitor switching off, then
> on, then off, then onandoffandonand...  ahhh!...  ahhh!  X doesn't respond
> to cntrl-alt-bkspce, and even if it did, kdm would just keep trying to
> restart anyway.

> So...

> How do I get into my computer, to make things right again?  BTW, the boot
> disk I made during the installation won't run the computer... it seems it's
> just designed to start it.  So, might I need to put something else on there
> to do this operation?  (I can rawrite it on via Windows, I guess.)

> This latest version of KDE seems chock full of bugs.  I never had any
> problems with it before, but this time it really sucks...

> Matt O.

Matt,

At the linux prompt type linux 3.  That would put you into the console.  Login
as root and rerun XF86Setup.

Lou