Newbie - slow PC

Post by Kayla Kittleso » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

I am using a Pentium II 100 MHz with 16 mb memory.  I run Xwindow with
KDE.  I have installed WP 8.0 trial version and Star Office.  When I
click on the icon to start either of these it takes a minimum of 5
minutes before the program is fully loaded.   I am new to using Linux,
or a Unix mainframe for that matter I am Unisys trained, so any help you
can offer will be welcome.
Thank you,
Kayla

Newbie - slow PC

Post by Lothar Krenzie » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

> I am using a Pentium II 100 MHz with 16 mb memory.  I run Xwindow with
> KDE.  I have installed WP 8.0 trial version and Star Office.  When I
> click on the icon to start either of these it takes a minimum of 5
> minutes before the program is fully loaded.   I am new to using Linux,
> or a Unix mainframe for that matter I am Unisys trained, so any help you
> can offer will be welcome.
> Thank you,
> Kayla

Do you created a swap partition during setup ? How big is the partition
?
But no matter what, 16 mb memory should NOT be enough for working. I
recommend at least 32 mb. Better is 64 mb.

Greatings
Lothar

Newbie - slow PC

Post by Edwin Chaco » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

Whoa a girl on Linux.....cool...no offence...but a girl using linux..is
cool...cause...even...guys are scared of linux...but anywats...Star
Office...is a really bloated Suite...I have a PII 266 and it takes..a
good..5 mins..to get it going...about WP..i dunno...but might be just as
bloated...

> I am using a Pentium II 100 MHz with 16 mb memory.  I run Xwindow with
> KDE.  I have installed WP 8.0 trial version and Star Office.  When I
> click on the icon to start either of these it takes a minimum of 5
> minutes before the program is fully loaded.   I am new to using Linux,
> or a Unix mainframe for that matter I am Unisys trained, so any help you
> can offer will be welcome.
> Thank you,
> Kayla

Newbie - slow PC

Post by d.. » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

>> I am using a Pentium II 100 MHz with 16 mb memory.  I run Xwindow with
>> KDE.  I have installed WP 8.0 trial version and Star Office.  When I
>> click on the icon to start either of these it takes a minimum of 5
>> minutes before the program is fully loaded.   I am new to using Linux,
>> or a Unix mainframe for that matter I am Unisys trained, so any help you
>> can offer will be welcome.
>> Thank you,
>> Kayla
> Do you created a swap partition during setup ? How big is the partition
> ?
> But no matter what, 16 mb memory should NOT be enough for working. I
> recommend at least 32 mb. Better is 64 mb.

I agree with that. I run RH 6.0 on a DX4/100 with 32Mb RAM. Not so long
ago it only had 16Mb and it was unbearable. I made the HD churn for ages
just by moving the mouse pointer. 32Mb is definitely the minimum.

Dan Ghozali                                             Ph +61-3-343-1686

University of Canterbury,               http://members.tripod.com/kiwidan
Christchurch - New Zealand

Newbie - slow PC

Post by Buch » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

Pentium II 100??  What did you do underclock it?

> Whoa a girl on Linux.....cool...no offence...but a girl using linux..is
> cool...cause...even...guys are scared of linux...but anywats...Star
> Office...is a really bloated Suite...I have a PII 266 and it takes..a
> good..5 mins..to get it going...about WP..i dunno...but might be just as
> bloated...

> > I am using a Pentium II 100 MHz with 16 mb memory.  I run Xwindow with
> > KDE.  I have installed WP 8.0 trial version and Star Office.  When I
> > click on the icon to start either of these it takes a minimum of 5
> > minutes before the program is fully loaded.   I am new to using Linux,
> > or a Unix mainframe for that matter I am Unisys trained, so any help you
> > can offer will be welcome.
> > Thank you,
> > Kayla

Newbie - slow PC

Post by Roger Atkinso » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,

Since i don't think ( I could be wrong) you can get a PII with only
16MB  (at least you shouldn't be able too :-)), I'm pretty sure she has
a 100MHZ Pentium and 16MB of memory.  If she is using a Newer kernel
(Like RH6.0) and running X, she is already swapping by the time the OS
Loads.

What this means is that since you are running out of memory your system
is using virtual memory out on your Hard Drive. This is why everything
is slow. Also if you have a small swap partition (say only 32MB) then
Linux is having a real hard time finding room for everything. This may
sound lousy to some but this is a great testament to Linux. WinX would
have crashed or locked up under the same circumstances. If you don't
beleive me just try to Run Win95 or Win98 and then load Office97 on a
100Mhz machine with 16MB of memory.

Anyway, it would help if you would post the results of the free command.
Open a shell window and type:
prompt% free

This will tell you how much memory and how much swap space is available
and being used.

HTH,  Roger Atkinson  Unix Sys Admin  (Reading news in Doze during
lunch)

> Pentium II 100??  What did you do underclock it?

> > Whoa a girl on Linux.....cool...no offence...but a girl using linux..is
> > cool...cause...even...guys are scared of linux...but anywats...Star
> > Office...is a really bloated Suite...I have a PII 266 and it takes..a
> > good..5 mins..to get it going...about WP..i dunno...but might be just as
> > bloated...

> > > I am using a Pentium II 100 MHz with 16 mb memory.  I run Xwindow with
> > > KDE.  I have installed WP 8.0 trial version and Star Office.  When I
> > > click on the icon to start either of these it takes a minimum of 5
> > > minutes before the program is fully loaded.   I am new to using Linux,
> > > or a Unix mainframe for that matter I am Unisys trained, so any help you
> > > can offer will be welcome.
> > > Thank you,
> > > Kayla

1. Slow dialup upload rate (win95 PC to linux PC)

Hi,
I can download files from our company dialup line using my PC running
Windows 95. However on uploads I have about say 10K tranferd, then the
transfer can pause up to about 10 seconds in some cases, before resuming.
Initially I had my Win95 mtu at the default(1500). Changing it to 576,
has reduced the pause time (but not eliminated them).
 The linux PC has the following settings in the options file for the
serial port.
 ctsrts
 38400
 mru 1500
 mtu 1500

Should I change these? Is there a program I can run on the linux box
and the win95 PC  to find out what is causing the pauses? (e.g. retransmits
etc.)?

 My PC as well as the linux box both use a USR sportster 14.4K external
modem.
 Please email responses

David

Z.I. Probes Inc., #217 9650-20ave.
Edmonton, AB, Canada T6E 2B9
403-462-3400 (Bus):  403-463-1567 (fax)
http://www.ziprobes.com/~davidn

2. nfs mount dilemma

3. Newbie: slow ftp slow Xwindows

4. STREAMS debug module

5. Newbie question: How "network" my linux pc to my win95 pc?

6. ttymon not resetting

7. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow

8. tape drive problems

9. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

10. Help - slow,slow, slip,slip, slow

11. Matrox g450 + tuxracer = slow slow slow!!! [???]

12. Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)

13. PC-NFS PC-to-PC copy is it possible?