Help Can't mount Panasonic CD-Rom drive!

Help Can't mount Panasonic CD-Rom drive!

Post by Goh Ngin H » Sat, 16 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Every time I boot up my system an error message was pop-up like this :
Message : mount : /dev/cdrom is not a block device
What it means?

1. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

2. umount/mount (how to get system to recognize eject?)

3. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

4. PATCH 2.5.2.9: fbdev kdev_t build fixes

5. Panasonic 563x CD-ROM won't mount

6. AFPS and Printing and Dos and Capture and Stuff

7. Panasonic/Matshita CD-ROM won't mount...

8. Televideo 950

9. Adaptec 1520i with Panasonic CD/PD drive and 4x Oak CD-ROM install HELP!!

10. replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

11. CD-ROM mount needs source <--> source needs CD-ROM mount

12. Infomagic CD installation, panasonic CD-rom mount error

13. Panasonic CD-503 SCSI CD-ROM drive support