Red Hat Linux 5.1 - Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 installation: need assistance (London)

Red Hat Linux 5.1 - Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 installation: need assistance (London)

Post by Neil Thoma » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello there.

I used to be a developer on Xenix-Unix systems just over 10 years ago, when
the firm I worked for closed down, I found work in the IT support field for
DOS and Windows based systems. After a long illness that left me disabled
and practically homebound, I have too much free time on my hands, and I
would like to get reacquainted with a modern Unix system as a hobby, and
possibly to start doing some C development again.

Unfortunately hardware is much more complex and varied nowadays and modern
Unices in general are very different from the ones I used to work with, I
therefore feel uncomfortable in attempting an installation without support.

I am wondering if there is a London-based, die hard Linux fan out there who
would be kind enough to spend some time with me (a day maybe ? over the
weekend if unavailable during weekdays) showing me the ropes and helping me
set up and fully configure either Red Hat or Caldera's Linux. Having done
that once with your guidance, and with the system up and running, I will
have plenty of time to get some books on Linux and work through the rest by
myself.

Obviously I would not be able to pay a great deal, but we can negotiate a
fee and of course I would owe you one.

The following is my PC's configuration:

ASUS TX-97 XE motherboard, AMD K6/233 CPU, 64 MB SDRAM
 1x 1.44 MB Floppy disk, 2x USB ports, 1x ECP/EPP parallel port, 2x serial
ports
 PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports

ADAPTEC 2940UW
 1x SEAGATE 4.3 GB ST34501W disk drive and 1x RICOH MP6200S CD-RW.

Matrox Millennium II 4 MB (PCI)
Diamond Monster 3D (3DFx Voodoo) (PCI)
USR Sportster voice 33.6 (ISA)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold (ISA)
Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17

I do like to play games, and therefore I would like to keep a minimal Win98
installation and dual boot between Linux and Windows.

If you would like to help, please email me and we can discuss it further.

TIA
Neil

[...]

I apologise for the duplication of the above article, my newsreader stated
that the message could not be posted, when in fact it was.

Sorry.
Neil.

Red Hat Linux 5.1 - Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 installation: need assistance (London)

Post by Whom (not W » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Lining in the Northen wastes I'm afriad I can't help. However I would
suggets that you also consider SUSE 5.3. Cost about 30 for a box set
which gives you a great manual though I have'nt seen how this compares
with either of the other two that you mentioned.