Problem Updating RH5.0 to kernel-2.0.32-3 w/pcmcia-cs-2.9.12-3

Problem Updating RH5.0 to kernel-2.0.32-3 w/pcmcia-cs-2.9.12-3

Post by Jim Seymo » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

Help!

Following the instructions for updating the RH5.0 kernel on my laptop
from kernel-2.0.31-7 to kernel-2.0.32-3 w/pcmcia-cs-2.9.12-3, the
instructions say to "rpm -i" the kernel RPMs.  They also say to do
the same with the "pcmcia-cs" RPM.

But when I try the "rpm -i" with the pcmcia-cs RPM, rpm issues
several "conflicts with" messages and refuses to load the new RPM.

I am now stopped dead in my tracks with my long-weekend marathon
upgrade.  (Haven't modified /etc/lilo.conf nor tried to reboot yet.)

What should I do at this point?  I suspect I should probably do the
pcmcia RPM with -U instead, but what if I want to boot the old
kernel again?

(Please reply via email as well as posting, as connections to the
news server I use for the Linux groups is quite slow and I'm not
confident that it always gets everything in a timely manner.)

Thanks,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour

http://home.msen.com/~jimsun

Problem Updating RH5.0 to kernel-2.0.32-3 w/pcmcia-cs-2.9.12-3

Post by ST » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

Jim,
It looks like you're trying to install the new packages over the old, which
I don't think you can do with rpm.  Try using the -U (upgrade) switch.

Personally I use:
    rpm -Uvvh package-name.rpm > package-name.log
The U upgrades, the double v provides very verbose output which I pipe to a
log, and the h adds any leading hashes that may be needed.

Regards,
Sean

Post by Jim Seymo » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

> Jim,
> It looks like you're trying to install the new packages over the old, which
> I don't think you can do with rpm.  Try using the -U (upgrade) switch.
[snip]

>>Help!

>>Following the instructions for updating the RH5.0 kernel on my laptop
>>from kernel-2.0.31-7 to kernel-2.0.32-3 w/pcmcia-cs-2.9.12-3, the
>>instructions say to "rpm -i" the kernel RPMs.  They also say to do
>>the same with the "pcmcia-cs" RPM.

>>But when I try the "rpm -i" with the pcmcia-cs RPM, rpm issues
>>several "conflicts with" messages and refuses to load the new RPM.

[snip]

If you take a look at

    http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/intel/kernel-upgrade-intel.html

You'll see what I mean by the above paragraph.

(Hmmm...  Looking at the page anew, I now notice that they mention
that you might need to use the --force switch in some cases.  Maybe
that's what I should do in this case.  Ah well, I've waited this
long, I guess I can wait till morning [my time] to see if there are
any additional comments.)

Thanks for the follow-up, Sean.

Regards,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour

http://home.msen.com/~jimsun

Post by Mark » Tue, 26 May 1998 04:00:00

>Jim,
>It looks like you're trying to install the new packages over the old, which
>I don't think you can do with rpm.  Try using the -U (upgrade) switch.

>Personally I use:
>    rpm -Uvvh package-name.rpm > package-name.log
>The U upgrades, the double v provides very verbose output which I pipe to a
>log, and the h adds any leading hashes that may be needed.

>Regards,
>Sean

I would recommend getting the pcmcia-cs3 3.0 tar ball from
hyper.stanford.edu, and install that one. Worked great for me.
Very easy, even for a newbie like me.

--
Delete the _remove_ if you like to email me from