Caldera Linux Server 3.1.1 (2.4.13) Installation - HELP needed

Caldera Linux Server 3.1.1 (2.4.13) Installation - HELP needed

Post by Chris Laatine » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 10:12:50

Hi,

I just installed CD1 of Caldera Linux Server (2.4.13 kernel) on my
Thinkpad (PIII 450, 288MB RAM). NO NETWORK card is installed on my
Thinkpad (I selected Disabled on the Network Page and typed 'tp600e' as
the host name).

When I boot up and get into KDE, I log in and then get the following
error message box:

"There was an error setting up inter-processing communications for KDE.
The message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list.
'/root/.DCOPserver_tp600e.nodomain.nowhere_:0'

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running"

When I press Ctrl-Alt-F1 I get into the command line and log in as 'root'
and after typing my password I get:

'hostname: Unknown host

Welcome to your OpenLinux system

I suspect the problem is in my network configuration, but I cannot be
sure. Does anyone have a clue what could be the problem?

I typed ls -la /root and there was a sym link

.DCOPserver_tp600e.nodomain.nowhere-

Quote:>/root/.DCOPserver_tp600e.nodomain.nowhere_:0

but I can't find the target (the one with '_:0' at the end).

Any help in solving this would be much appreciated. Thanks

Chris