Adding driver

Post by James KI » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Would you tell me the way how to put network driver in kernel source
directory?
I have Realtek 8139 driver source file and would like to insert that in
drivers/net.
What do I have to do that? Have to I modify Makefile under drivers/net?
and more?
Please comment it.

Adding driver

Post by Jesse Weiger » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> Would you tell me the way how to put network driver in kernel source
> directory?
> I have Realtek 8139 driver source file and would like to insert that in
> drivers/net.
> What do I have to do that? Have to I modify Makefile under drivers/net?
> and more?
> Please comment it.

 Change to /usr/src.  Make sure there is a linux directory.  If there
isn't(i.e. linux-2.0.33) then make a symbolic link to it.  In /usr/src/,
type patch -p0 < (file of driver here).  Then find -name *.rej.  If you
find any, then you need to find out what the .rej files were trying to do
to the original file.  Make the changes yourself and delete the .rej
file.  Then, when you do a make xconfig or what ever you do, make sure
your new driver appears and is selected.

--
-Jesse Weigert

 http://mid.home.ml.org

 " "