LINUX & MOTIF

Post by Garry Simmo » Tue, 24 Jan 1995 23:40:11

: To all GURUs

: I have a 120 MB HD that may be dedicated
: to linux.  However, before going through the trouble,
: I was wondering if linux supports MOTIF specs?
: and how much space do I really need if I
: want to run LINUX, X-WIndows, EMACS, and GCC, and MOTIF libraries?

: Thanks.

: le

: ps. where can I get it too?

I install the Slackware Pro 2.1 distribution and loaded X, Emacs and all the
GNU stuff (no TeX) and I'm using about 140M (if my memory isn't shot). I
don't think Motif is more than a handful of floppies (perhaps 5?), so that
shouldn't add more than 10 or 15 meg. Looks like you'll need a bigger drive,
but I've also got Tcl/Tk and some other stuff loaded, so you might make it.

I'm aware of two Motif vendors: Metro Link and SWiM. I believe that the last
reliable X/Motif version is Motif 1.2.4 running on X11R5 (XFree 2.1). It
seems that people are complaining about bugs when using Motif 2.0...
`
Hope this helps,

Garry Simmons

LINUX & MOTIF

Post by Enrico Badel » Sun, 29 Jan 1995 22:54:46

[...]

:

You forgot one player in the Motif 2.0 arena, that is pretty competitive;
here is an old posting

                OSF/Motif 2.0 (R) for Linux
                ---------------------------

I am pleased to announce the availability of  OSF/Motif  2.0
for Linux; the port was done using OSF/Motif 2.0 source code
tree and validated with OSF/Validation Test Suite (R).

The package is a complete runtime and  development  environ-
ment  providing all the necessary files to develop OSF/Motif
applications.

1.  CONTENTS

The distribution includes:

o   mwm window manager and binaries for both X11R5 and X11R6
    shared libraries.

o   Shared and static libraries for  X11R5  (XFree-2.1)  and
    X11R6 (XFree-3.1)

o   UIL support

o   Header and Include Files

o   Source code and precompiled copies of all OSF/Motif demo
    programs and libraries.

PostScript documentation is available only  on  request  and
with a small extra charge because of it's size.

2.  WHAT'S NEW

OSF/Motif 2.0 is a great enhancement  of  previous  releases
and   includes   many   new   widgets   such   as  ComboBox,
Container/IconGadget, CSText, Notebook, SpinBox.   Many  new
features  and  demos  have been added but the most important
aspects  are  extensibility,  performance  improvements  and
quality  (no  more  memory  leaks).  Email me for a complete
list of all new features in OSF/Motif-2.0

3.  REQUIREMENTS

Linux version 1.1.52 or higher, libc  4.6.20,  libm  4.6.20,
ld.so  1.5.1,  XFree86  2.1 and/or XFree-3.1, 8M RAM or more
and 10M swap.  The current distribution  uses  a.out  format
and support for ELF is on the way.

4.  SUPPORT

Free technical support  is  available  via  email,  fax  and
phone, so do not hesitate to contact me.

5.  UPGRADES

Upgrade to minor releases of OSF/Motif 2.x and  all  patches
will  be  available  FREE  by email or ftp to all registered
users.  Cross-platform upgrades are also available  enabling
users  of  other  vendors  to  upgrade to OSF/Motif 2.0. All
registered users will receive at no cost ELF versions of the
distributions as soon as they will be ready.

6.  SHIPPING

Preferred shipping method is via ftp upload to your  machine
and  this  will  be done at no cost. All ftp uploads will be
performed within 12 hours from the arrival of the  order.  I
will accept to upload the full distribution by anonymous ftp
ONLY if there is a publicly writable but non readable direc-
tory to put the software in.

If you prefer a 3.5" floppy disk distribution  you  will  be
charged about $15 for media and insured air mail.

7.  COST

The cost of the full OSF/Motif 2.0 distribution is $149 plus
about $15 shipping if delivery is not via ftp. In Europe add
VAT to these prices and send  your VAT number of identifica-
tion.

As noted before, all PostScript documentation  is  available
only  on  request  and for an additional $25 because of it's
size (about 12M of gziped files)

8.  ORDERING

To place an order send your VISA or Master card  number  and
expiration date by email to one of these addresses

If you don't feel safe by sending your card  info  over  the
net you may fax it to +39-11-746487

In case you prefer a bank to bank wire transfer email me and
I'll  send  you the necessary information; you can also send
Eurocheques or Traveller Cheques by mail to

        Soft*Star s.r.l.
        Via Camburzano 9
        10143 Torino
        Italy

In your order please clearly specify the information  neces-
sary to reach your machine by ftp.

Also please don't forget to include your postal address  for
the invoice and proof of purchase.

9.  ROYALTY REGULATIONS

All applications that are statically  linked  (gcc  -static)
with  libXm  or libMrm libraries may be distributed to other
users that don't need to have  any  OSF/Motif-2.0  libraries
installed.

10.  MISCELLANEOUS

Distributors and dealers are welcomed. All trademarks are of
whoever owns them.

LINUX & MOTIF

Post by ONCE BITTEN, TWICE S » Tue, 31 Jan 1995 21:46:07

Quote:> You forgot one player in the Motif 2.0 arena, that is pretty competitive;
> here is an old posting

[obvious promotional material deleted]

Quote:> Distributors and dealers are welcomed. All trademarks are of
> whoever owns them.

Hummmm...i doubt the legality of protection through THAT statement....
i always thought you had to acknowledge the copyrights to the owners by name.
Ah well....

Look....i like the linux groups as they are...
                and try to help out people when i can....
BUt will you STOP using this newsgroup as a commercial platform...

Whenever i see ANY ...and i mean *ANY* post from you, its about your WONDERFUL
product.....personally....i have had nothing but trouble with ANY version of
MotiF....my advice to ANYONE...is to wait for full CDE compliance to appear
(six-10 months) and then buy it....buying now is kinda silly, as in a short
while they are going to end up changing the rules on you,anyway.

Take it over to comp.os.linux.announce....post once. THEN GO...

(sorry to the rest of the users....normal servicce will be resumed asap. Thanx)

-SteF-

1. Linux & Motif

Hi folks
        I am sorry if this is a FAQ, I have not been taking this group very
long. I have an interest in writing Motif software with Linux. I know Motif
runs under Linux but can I get the necessary to build a Motif application
under Linux? I guess that I need some Motif development libraries at least.
This lot will be running on a PC. So if some kind soul could let me
know    a) can one develop Motif applications under Motif
        b) if so, where can I get all the necessary

                thanks in advance
                        les

-- les grant    ----------- Tel:   041-886-2201    (+44-41-886-2201) -------
-- for himself        ----- Fax:   041-885-3370    (+44-41-885-3370) -------

2. ieee1394 sbp2 driver is broken for kernel >= 2.4.21-rc2

3. mmdf problem

4. Motif & DDD & Nedit & characters not in font

5. NIS+ Timing

6. Motif on Linux & slackware vs Linux FT

7. Netflex-3 NIC drivers

9. Motif++ available for linux/Metrolink Motif

10. Check me on use of Linux/XFree86 & Solaris w Motif app