1. Hangs at first phase of boot, help!
I'm trying to install Linux on a 486DX2/66 with 16MB RAM, IDE hard disk with
more than 1024 cylinders, PCI+VLB+ISA mainboard (I know this is strongly not
recomended, but the shop said they would replace it for a VLB+ISA if it fails
to work with Linux), Soundblaster with on board Adaptec 152x, #9 GXE64 with
4MB VRAM (PCI), NE2000 ethernet card, SCSI CD-ROM drive (Matsushita) and an HP
I have used the October Infomagic CD-ROM which contains Slackware 2.0.1 with
kernel 1.1.50. The boot disk contains kernel 1.0.9 and I use "hd=1048,16,63
aha152x=0x340,11,7,1" as the kernel command line. The whole thing boots fine,
I partition the drive with fdisk (keeping under cylinder 1024 for the root
partition just to make sure) and install a minimum config with setup. I add
the append="..." and linear statements to the lilo.conf and install it on the
MBR (I also tried a floppy).
When I boot off the hard disk, the kernel is loaded fine, it finds the serial
ports (I have 4), lp_init does it's stuff and it arrives at the "Calibrating
delay loop... ok - 33.22 BogoMips" (it seems to me this should be 66.xx !?! )
and then it hangs!!
I then borrowed the December Infomagic CD-ROM which contains Slackware 2.1.0
with kernel 1.1.54. The boot disk also contains kernel 1.1.54 and guess
what... it hangs after the "Calibrating delay loop... ok - 33.22 BogoMips"! So
this time I can't even try installing anything. At least it seems that it
wasn't something I was doing wrong in the installtion process.
Why doesn't it work with the newer kernels ? Is it the PCI based mainboard
which is causing the problem ?
Please help me... thanks in advance.
Yves PERRENOUD FIDONET : 2:301/315.50 (pyves)
2. lp spool system query
3. "boot failed" in first boot after installation
4. Help with awk or sed . .
5. Installation Help - Hangs up on boot
6. knode child windows
7. Slakware: Help with first boot/installation process.
8. OPL3-SAx PnP driving me crazy! (long)
9. Help,Help, Help,my installation of RedHat7.3 hangs, how to solve it?
10. newbie hangs at first installation
11. 2.5.73-mm1 nbd: boot hang in add_disk at first call from nbd_init
12. first boot of LinuxPPC hangs
13. First boot after Solaris 8 x86 install hangs...