apache UserDir question

Post by Scott Beckma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I'm new to Apache and am stumped as to how to get the
http://my.compter.com/~user to refer to /home/user/www/index.html

I've set in srm.conf:

        UserDir /home/*/www

In access.conf I've set

        <Directory /home/*/www>
             Order Deny,Allow
            Allow from All

            Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

            AllowOverride None

            order allow,deny
            allow from all

        </Directory>

Then I restarted the server with the command

        apachectl restart

and received no warnings

Then I've written a short file for /home/user/index.html and changed the
permissions with

        chmod 777 -R /home/user/www

When I try http://my.compter.com/~user

I'm given a page showing, "You are not authorized to view this page"

So what am I forgetting?  I've read through the manual several times,
but can't seem to find the mistake in my work.

Thanks for your time,
Scott
Scott Beckman

University of California at Berkeley
Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
577 Evans Hall #1760
Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

apache UserDir question

Post by ne.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>I'm new to Apache and am stumped as to how to get the
>http://my.compter.com/~user to refer to /home/user/www/index.html

>I've set in srm.conf:

>    UserDir /home/*/www

>In access.conf I've set

>    <Directory /home/*/www>
>         Order Deny,Allow
>        Allow from All

>        Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

>        AllowOverride None

>        order allow,deny
>        allow from all

>    </Directory>

>Then I restarted the server with the command

>    apachectl restart

>and received no warnings

>Then I've written a short file for /home/user/index.html and changed the
>permissions with

>    chmod 777 -R /home/user/www

>When I try http://my.compter.com/~user

>I'm given a page showing, "You are not authorized to view this page"

>So what am I forgetting?  I've read through the manual several times,
>but can't seem to find the mistake in my work.

Is /home/user world readable and/or executable?

A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon.

Buy the negatives at any price.
  8:41pm  up 18 days, 23:53,  8 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00

apache UserDir question

Post by djmille » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I had the same problem.  You need to set all /home/user directories to world
readable (rwx---r--).  (If your users want private files, they can create a
directory under /home/user with only owner permissions.)

> Hello,

> I'm new to Apache and am stumped as to how to get the
> http://my.compter.com/~user to refer to /home/user/www/index.html

> I've set in srm.conf:

> UserDir /home/*/www

> In access.conf I've set

> <Directory /home/*/www>
>      Order Deny,Allow
>       Allow from All

>       Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

>       AllowOverride None

>       order allow,deny
>       allow from all

> </Directory>

> Then I restarted the server with the command

> apachectl restart

> and received no warnings

> Then I've written a short file for /home/user/index.html and changed the
> permissions with

> chmod 777 -R /home/user/www

> When I try http://my.compter.com/~user

> I'm given a page showing, "You are not authorized to view this page"

> So what am I forgetting?  I've read through the manual several times,
> but can't seem to find the mistake in my work.

> Thanks for your time,
> Scott
> --
> Scott Beckman

> University of California at Berkeley
> Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
> 577 Evans Hall #1760
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

apache UserDir question

Post by thed.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If you didn't delete the section in your default httpd.conf file,
there is a section that is already setup for ~user directory access.
All you have to do is remove the comments and correct the directory
reference to suit your server.

I suggest that you do as the install directions, FAQ and website
suggests....   look through the httpd.conf file to become familar with
the configuration for your server.  The file itself is well documented
and you would have learned that  access.conf and srm.conf are not used
anymore.  All of the access.conf and srm.conf entries are embedded
within httpd.conf.

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:31:18 -0500, Scott Beckman

>Hello,

>I'm new to Apache and am stumped as to how to get the
>http://my.compter.com/~user to refer to /home/user/www/index.html

>I've set in srm.conf:

>    UserDir /home/*/www

>In access.conf I've set

>    <Directory /home/*/www>
>         Order Deny,Allow
>        Allow from All

>        Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

>        AllowOverride None

>        order allow,deny
>        allow from all

>    </Directory>

>Then I restarted the server with the command

>    apachectl restart

>and received no warnings

>Then I've written a short file for /home/user/index.html and changed the
>permissions with

>    chmod 777 -R /home/user/www

>When I try http://my.compter.com/~user

>I'm given a page showing, "You are not authorized to view this page"

>So what am I forgetting?  I've read through the manual several times,
>but can't seem to find the mistake in my work.

>Thanks for your time,
>Scott
>--
>Scott Beckman

>University of California at Berkeley
>Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
>577 Evans Hall #1760
>Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

apache UserDir question

Post by Scott Beckma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for your responses,

I needed change the permissions with

        chmod 755 /home/user

I had my default set to permissions 750

When I first started with this server I had thought that I'd have
multiple user groups, but since then have changed my mind so using a
permission of 755 shouldn't really hurt anything.

==========

There were two comments about srm and access not being used any more.
Is this true?  When did it change?  I installed RH 6.0 last september
and this apache configuration is what I received with all three files.
Is it just a matter of copying everything from the access.conf and
srm.conf to the httpd.conf file?   What is the advantage, aside from
ease of maintenance?  Is there a security advantage?

Scott

> Hello,

> I'm new to Apache and am stumped as to how to get the
> http://my.compter.com/~user to refer to /home/user/www/index.html

> I've set in srm.conf:

>         UserDir /home/*/www

> In access.conf I've set

>         <Directory /home/*/www>
>              Order Deny,Allow
>             Allow from All

>             Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

>             AllowOverride None

>             order allow,deny
>             allow from all

>         </Directory>

> Then I restarted the server with the command

>         apachectl restart

> and received no warnings

> Then I've written a short file for /home/user/index.html and changed the
> permissions with

>         chmod 777 -R /home/user/www

> When I try http://my.compter.com/~user

> I'm given a page showing, "You are not authorized to view this page"

> So what am I forgetting?  I've read through the manual several times,
> but can't seem to find the mistake in my work.

> Thanks for your time,
> Scott
> --
> Scott Beckman

> University of California at Berkeley
> Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
> 577 Evans Hall #1760
> Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

Scott Beckman

University of California at Berkeley
Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
577 Evans Hall #1760
Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

apache UserDir question

Post by thed.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The access.conf and srm.conf " FILES " are no longer needed.  The
entries originally used in these files are now integrated into
httpd.conf in current releases of Apache.

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 07:32:21 -0500, Scott Beckman

>Thanks for your responses,

>I needed change the permissions with

>    chmod 755 /home/user

>I had my default set to permissions 750

>When I first started with this server I had thought that I'd have
>multiple user groups, but since then have changed my mind so using a
>permission of 755 shouldn't really hurt anything.

>==========

>There were two comments about srm and access not being used any more.
>Is this true?  When did it change?  I installed RH 6.0 last september
>and this apache configuration is what I received with all three files.
>Is it just a matter of copying everything from the access.conf and
>srm.conf to the httpd.conf file?   What is the advantage, aside from
>ease of maintenance?  Is there a security advantage?

>Scott

>> Hello,

>> I'm new to Apache and am stumped as to how to get the
>> http://my.compter.com/~user to refer to /home/user/www/index.html

>> I've set in srm.conf:

>>         UserDir /home/*/www

>> In access.conf I've set

>>         <Directory /home/*/www>
>>              Order Deny,Allow
>>             Allow from All

>>             Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

>>             AllowOverride None

>>             order allow,deny
>>             allow from all

>>         </Directory>

>> Then I restarted the server with the command

>>         apachectl restart

>> and received no warnings

>> Then I've written a short file for /home/user/index.html and changed the
>> permissions with

>>         chmod 777 -R /home/user/www

>> When I try http://my.compter.com/~user

>> I'm given a page showing, "You are not authorized to view this page"

>> So what am I forgetting?  I've read through the manual several times,
>> but can't seem to find the mistake in my work.

>> Thanks for your time,
>> Scott
>> --
>> Scott Beckman

>> University of California at Berkeley
>> Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
>> 577 Evans Hall #1760
>> Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

>--
>Scott Beckman

>University of California at Berkeley
>Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
>577 Evans Hall #1760
>Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

apache UserDir question

Post by Jason Gof » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

just create a public_html folder in the user's dir

> The access.conf and srm.conf " FILES " are no longer needed.  The
> entries originally used in these files are now integrated into
> httpd.conf in current releases of Apache.

> On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 07:32:21 -0500, Scott Beckman

> >Thanks for your responses,

> >I needed change the permissions with

> > chmod 755 /home/user

> >I had my default set to permissions 750

> >When I first started with this server I had thought that I'd have
> >multiple user groups, but since then have changed my mind so using a
> >permission of 755 shouldn't really hurt anything.

> >==========

> >There were two comments about srm and access not being used any more.
> >Is this true?  When did it change?  I installed RH 6.0 last september
> >and this apache configuration is what I received with all three files.
> >Is it just a matter of copying everything from the access.conf and
> >srm.conf to the httpd.conf file?   What is the advantage, aside from
> >ease of maintenance?  Is there a security advantage?

> >Scott

> >> Hello,

> >> I'm new to Apache and am stumped as to how to get the
> >> http://my.compter.com/~user to refer to /home/user/www/index.html

> >> I've set in srm.conf:

> >>         UserDir /home/*/www

> >> In access.conf I've set

> >>         <Directory /home/*/www>
> >>              Order Deny,Allow
> >>             Allow from All

> >>             Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

> >>             AllowOverride None

> >>             order allow,deny
> >>             allow from all

> >>         </Directory>

> >> Then I restarted the server with the command

> >>         apachectl restart

> >> and received no warnings

> >> Then I've written a short file for /home/user/index.html and changed
the
> >> permissions with

> >>         chmod 777 -R /home/user/www

> >> When I try http://my.compter.com/~user

> >> I'm given a page showing, "You are not authorized to view this page"

> >> So what am I forgetting?  I've read through the manual several times,
> >> but can't seem to find the mistake in my work.

> >> Thanks for your time,
> >> Scott
> >> --
> >> ====================================================
> >> Scott Beckman

> >> University of California at Berkeley
> >> Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
> >> 577 Evans Hall #1760
> >> Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

> >> =====================================================

> >--
> >====================================================
> >Scott Beckman

> >University of California at Berkeley
> >Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
> >577 Evans Hall #1760
> >Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

> >=====================================================

1. Apache: UserDir question

I know similar questions have been asked before, but I've been playing
with this question for awhile and haven't found a solution.

On Apache 1.1.1, I want users to have homepages, but don't want the
URL(s) to be: http://www.foo.com/user ->  I want the URL to be:
http://www.foo.com/users/user instead.  I noticed that several examples
were commented in the Apache source code, like:

UserDir /usr/www http://www.foo.com/users

This seemed to do what I want(ed), but when I tried something like this,
it didn't work.  :-(

Here's what I've done:

(1) created an area in /usr/www for each user, like /usr/www/user.
(2) Config'd Userdir as: UserDir /usr/www http://www.foo.com/users
(3) Restarted the server, and called the URL: http://www.foo.com/users/user

Apache returns a page not found error.  Any suggestions or pointers to
documentation that I might check out?  Do I have do ReDirect ~/ to /users?

Thanks for your time.

--
Nathan V. Patwardhan

"Lane, this is pure snow!
Do you have any idea what
the street value of this mountain is?"
        --Charles Demar from _Better Off Dead_

2. Setup of Pine

3. Apache UserDir question...

4. Problem with cdda2wav

5. 755 userdirs? for ~userdir/public_html?

6. Using poll speedup

7. Apache UserDir CGI scripts

8. Help! 2940 Help!

9. VirtualHost UserDir in apache 0.8.13?

10. Apache UserDir CGI scripts

11. Apache and UserDir

12. Apache UserDir/AliasMatch